update failed;general error says avg 2011 free?

Jwbjnwolf 16:57 28 Nov 10

Have an acer aspire one with xp home sp3 with avg 2011 free and all was working well until today when it tryed updating and it said 'update failed' and under that 'general error'
so it ain't successful at updating as it is downloading but is then not completing successfuly.
In overview, looking at all the components, under Update Manager it says 'general error' so it is the update mananger that is not working properly.
I have downloaded avast free and turned the wi-fi off at the time of writing to be safe even though everything else says there working correctly.
Just before install avast and uninstall avg, want to know if it has everything that avg free has and that i do not need anything more than avast and zonealarm firewall.
Avg has
anti-virus,anti-spyware which says it also has anti-malware, linkscanner, resident shield, email scanner, anti-rootkit, and identity protection.
will avast have all of these components or will i need something extra as excluding firewall?
I have kept trying the update process but am have thought that even if i do manage to, if it has done this with me once, it is gonna do it again so as my mum has advised me to, i wanna go with avast, but want to know if i need any others.

iscanut 17:03 28 Nov 10

Avast & Zonewall will be fine. There have already been many postings here about problems with AVG Free !

Jwbjnwolf 17:08 28 Nov 10

Thanks
Just making sure.

Jwbjnwolf 17:55 28 Nov 10

Uninstalled avg and installed avast and had a lovely loud welcome from them
but my avg interface is still ther with Identity protection, licence, and update manager there and i try uninstalling that but it says that the avg installer isn't installed so i am stuck with it.
any suggestions?

Jwbjnwolf 18:47 28 Nov 10

the error code is
'0xE001DO2B'
error message is
'AVG product not installed, uninstallation request ignored.'
Additional message is
'AVG Installer-Product not installed, uninstallation request ignored.'
is this any help in anyone giving suggestions?

Jwbjnwolf 19:35 28 Nov 10

thanks
completly gone now
thanks,
did love avg but it was a hassel that 2011 version.
Thanks a lot.

mooly 19:37 28 Nov 10

Why not try MSE. It's effective and light on resources.
click here

Jwbjnwolf 19:42 28 Nov 10

Maybe if need to change again but im gonna stick with avast as i know it is good at its job.

Jwbjnwolf 19:45 28 Nov 10

also as my mum is member of which? magazine and they say it is a best buy.

Jwbjnwolf 20:11 28 Nov 10

That is a fantastic load of scan options you get, i sure like the look of boot time scan.
scheduled it for next boot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5