update drivers via internet

farmboy 19:46 02 Apr 04

does any1 know how to update a driver through the internet when in system device manager. When it says search for updated driver from where, i dont know how to get it to check the internet. if it can do this
thnx

MichelleC 20:10 02 Apr 04

It checks for M$ updated generic windows drivers for some devices. It's best to get the maker's drivers once you've id'd the device.

sattman 20:43 02 Apr 04

Assuming that the update driver is not in your possesion you will have to obtain a update.

Identify the driver you require and then do internet search to find new driver, download and save the file. make sure that the date and version is newer than that which you are going to replace.

Remove existing driver in device manager and make path to the new driver when programme asks to search for update.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:52 02 Apr 04

Unless you are having problems or feel a compelling need there is rarely the necessity to update drivers...if it ain't broke.......

G

ted bear 04:00 03 Apr 04

gandalf - thats probably one of the most intelligent answers to the question of driver updates iv seen - updating drivers especially for the unknowledgeable can be very frustrating and often leave disaster in its wake.

Mango Grummit 07:29 03 Apr 04

I agree with GANDALF too. If you don't have a specific reason to update then it's best not to.

The machine I am on just now is an old 750 Duron with dual booting. I have the same OS on both systems and I use the second one to experiment with anything that takes my fancy. Over the 5 or 6 years I've installed all the MS updates and driver updates etc to this second system. On the first system, which is the one I use every day, I've updated nothing at all and ...... you've guessed it, there is absolutely no difference in performance except of course the experimental side is a bit slower to boot but you would expect that with over 500 prgs and apps and loads of rubbish installed. And ted bear is right too, updating can make things worse.

M

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:36 03 Apr 04

I used a PII, 350Mhz computer for 5 years and never 'updated' any driver. It always worked flawlessly...there is a pattern here.
;-))

G

farmboy 23:16 19 Apr 04

thnx evry 1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…