Update for DirectX 9.0

dave h 21:40 30 Sep 03

Another small prolem.

Trying to download and install "Recommended Update for DirectX 9.0 - Managed DirectX" from Windows update, I have the following problem.

It apparently downloads O.K., then I get a message telling me it failed to install, try the download again!

At the fifth time of trying, I tried to contact Microsoft to ask what the problem might be.

Have you ever tried to find out how to contact someone at the 'Updates support'???? It's not easy...I haven't managed it yet!!!

Any thoughts anyone?? (either to install it, or contact them)

Jester2K II 22:22 30 Sep 03

Download the full 32 mb package instead.

click here

dave h 22:47 30 Sep 03

Jester2K II

Thanks for that, but I don't see anything that says End users can use it directly? It talks about 'licensed users' to redistribute.

On a slightly different tack, do I actually need it? I may be using a Flight Simulator at some point, but I don't run any 'Shoot-em -up' type games. Is this update really necessary?

Again - On a different tack, wouldn't it be nice if Microsoft explained insimple language what their updates did. There are other updates that talk about "Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1" What the hell do those do??

Jester2K II 07:33 01 Oct 03

Near the bottom it says

"The DirectX 9.0b Redist is recommended for those user that do not have internet connection during installation."

I use this one even on 1 mb Broadband.

Its only necessary if you have a DirectX 9 grapchics card.

Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1 - is a frame work or working environemnt for the next genmeration of programming languages. It'll help you run programs made using the .NET languages.

dave h 09:48 01 Oct 03

Jester2K II

Thanks for the info. I'll investigate whether my Graphics card has/is DirectX 9 status.

Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1 - any idea of what type of programs we are tlking about?

Ps. I see you (like me) are also inflicted with a computer that refuses to ptint what you type! (LOL)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced