Updatable website for novice user

Griffon 08:53 17 Apr 07

What's the best way to do this?

I want to design a site that the user can edit text and images. They have no web design skills like html coding, or access to Dream Weaver or other web software - or indeed the wish to learn how to use such software.

I suppose what I have in mind is an interface that the user uses to edit each of their site's pages - via a browser for example.

A blog is about as near as can describe how this should work. But it's a blog for which I can define the editable regions and that I can make look like a website rather than a blog - if you see what I mean :-)

Maybe there's a php script to do this?

I've looked at sites which purport to offer sites which the user updates via a browser interface but I've never been that much impressed by what they offer. In fact I've had people come to me for a bespoke site after failing to get on with one of these.

mco 17:41 17 Apr 07
  Forum Editor 19:23 17 Apr 07

commonly referred to as a CMS.

The software in the link provided by mco is an excellent example.

Griffon 18:01 19 Apr 07

Yes, Forum Editor. I was wondering whether Macromedia Contribute might be what I'm looking for.

mco 19:43 19 Apr 07

joomla, the link I made earlier, is opensource, whereas Macromedia Contribute costs a bomb! So for me, there'd be no competition.

Griffon 21:26 19 Apr 07

Point taken mco. It's just that I work with dreamweaver anyway so upgrading to DW CS2 which I think maybe(?) now contains Macromedia Contribute may not be such a big jump .... but I've not checked this.

I've been using Contribute in a small way and it works quite well. Takes a while to tune it though so that your novice editor does not brake the site. Remember your need a licence for each station (approx £130 at full price). But this cost is probably less for your client than the market value of providing them a CMS which again you will need to advise the client on how to use it. I would think that editing a web page in any editor now available is slightly more comlex than using word at a skilled level. Agree?

I've been using Contribute in a small way and it works quite well. Takes a while to tune it though so that your novice editor does not break the site. Remember your need a licence for each station (approx £130 at full price). But this cost is probably less for your client than the market value of providing them a CMS which again you will need to advise the client on how to use it. I would think that editing a web page in any editor now available is slightly more comlex than using word at a skilled level. Agree?

Griffon 08:48 20 Apr 07

Yes, £130 is cheaper than someone paying £15 per month for CMS over the long term or paying me to do updates. I'll look into this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch