Updatable website for novice user

Griffon 08:53 17 Apr 07

What's the best way to do this?

I want to design a site that the user can edit text and images. They have no web design skills like html coding, or access to Dream Weaver or other web software - or indeed the wish to learn how to use such software.

I suppose what I have in mind is an interface that the user uses to edit each of their site's pages - via a browser for example.

A blog is about as near as can describe how this should work. But it's a blog for which I can define the editable regions and that I can make look like a website rather than a blog - if you see what I mean :-)

Maybe there's a php script to do this?

I've looked at sites which purport to offer sites which the user updates via a browser interface but I've never been that much impressed by what they offer. In fact I've had people come to me for a bespoke site after failing to get on with one of these.

mco 17:41 17 Apr 07
  Forum Editor 19:23 17 Apr 07

commonly referred to as a CMS.

The software in the link provided by mco is an excellent example.

Griffon 18:01 19 Apr 07

Yes, Forum Editor. I was wondering whether Macromedia Contribute might be what I'm looking for.

mco 19:43 19 Apr 07

joomla, the link I made earlier, is opensource, whereas Macromedia Contribute costs a bomb! So for me, there'd be no competition.

Griffon 21:26 19 Apr 07

Point taken mco. It's just that I work with dreamweaver anyway so upgrading to DW CS2 which I think maybe(?) now contains Macromedia Contribute may not be such a big jump .... but I've not checked this.

I've been using Contribute in a small way and it works quite well. Takes a while to tune it though so that your novice editor does not brake the site. Remember your need a licence for each station (approx £130 at full price). But this cost is probably less for your client than the market value of providing them a CMS which again you will need to advise the client on how to use it. I would think that editing a web page in any editor now available is slightly more comlex than using word at a skilled level. Agree?

I've been using Contribute in a small way and it works quite well. Takes a while to tune it though so that your novice editor does not break the site. Remember your need a licence for each station (approx £130 at full price). But this cost is probably less for your client than the market value of providing them a CMS which again you will need to advise the client on how to use it. I would think that editing a web page in any editor now available is slightly more comlex than using word at a skilled level. Agree?

Griffon 08:48 20 Apr 07

Yes, £130 is cheaper than someone paying £15 per month for CMS over the long term or paying me to do updates. I'll look into this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…