unwise.exe in win2000

swapper 20:47 11 Apr 03

Why am I getting a message "could not execute unwise.exe" for a scanner that was uninstalled correctly, some time ago (as far as I am aware:-(( )
What is unwise.exe? .....Please?

Gongoozler 21:24 11 Apr 03

Hi swapper. unwise.exe is an uninstaller click here and click here. I don't know what is causing the error. When do you get the "could not execute" message?

swapper 22:28 11 Apr 03

Hello Gongoozler (nice name :-)
Every time the PC is switched on it appears at the desk top, it concerns a scanner that was uninstalled properly(?)some time ago, and it has been annoying ever since.

temp003 05:15 12 Apr 03

If the message appears at startup as you say, that suggests that for some reason, an entry has been written (erroneously) to the registry to run the unwise.exe file every time Windows 2000 starts.

Try disabling the entry from startup.

Windows 2000 does not have the msconfig utility as in most other Windows. If you have some startup manager installed, use it to disable unwise.exe from startup.

If you do not have a startup manager, download Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel, which is small and easy to use. click here

After you install it, go to Control Panel, double click the "Startup" icon. Select the various tabs one by one, until you see an item showing "unwise.exe" either under the name column, or the path column. Most likely tab is the HKLM/Run tab.

If you find it, untick the relevant box. Click OK. Restart the computer to see if the message appears again. Hopefully not.

If things continue to work fine (give it some time), you can go back to the item in Startup Control Panel, right click the item and select delete. Then go to the Delete tab and delete it from there as well.

There may be more than one application using its own unwise.exe for uninstalling itself. So don't delete any unwise.exe file you may find on your computer rashly.

swapper 06:59 12 Apr 03

thanks tempo003, I'll give it a try and report back in a couple of days :-))

swapper 08:33 14 Apr 03

Thanks tempo003, that was a great site, and it did solve my problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…