Unwelcome files in" My Photos"

ribo 14:35 25 Jan 05

This is not actually a problem but I do not know where they came from,but I would like them to go away.
Recently,I have just noticed that in "My Photos"and in each folder in "My Photos" there are numerous files,all various sizes that have the name "Thumbs". It says that they are data base files and they show the two interconnected cog wheels.
When I try to delete these I am told"The file Thumbs is a system file.If you emove it,your computer or one of your programs may no longer work correctly. Are you sure.....".
When I have actually bitten the bullet and deleted them,they are back next time I open the folder.
Also, and this may be connected,I have lost all the Jpeg icons. These have been replaced by Quicktime icons. I have managed to change the "Open with" to windows fax and picture viewer. but I cannot find the usual windows JPeg icon.
Can anyone please tell me what is going on.
O.S XP Home-SP 2.
I have scanned using AVG.a²,Spybot,Adaware and the new MSM Antspyware prog. Thanks J

Sethhaniel 14:47 25 Jan 05

pictures as thumbnails - its windows way of storing the pictures image -
if you hide system files in windows explorer they will dissapear -
when you install quicktime it associates all files it can read with itself - right click on your jpeg file select open with and reselect program that you usually use to return it to normal

ribo 16:00 25 Jan 05

What you are saying sound good. Can you please explain how I can hide the system files in explorer.Sorry to be a nuisance,but I cannot see anything.
I can get the pictures to open in Window fax and picture viewer,which is what I want,but the icon remains .Do you know how I can get back the usual windows JPeg icon.Thanks for you help so far. J

Sethhaniel 16:29 25 Jan 05

tools - folder options -view - hidden files & folder - click do not show hidden files ;)

Gongoozler 16:42 25 Jan 05

Have a look here click here

ribo 16:46 25 Jan 05

Thank you so much for your help.Very much appreciated. J

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…