Unwanted XXX Dial-Up Connection

thegreypanther 12:18 05 Jun 03

This morning my son opened his Hot Mail In-box, to find that amongst all the usual spam he had a message that instantly downloaded a premium rate dial-up connection that connected him to a XXX site.
I have advised him to delete the particular dial-up connection in "My Computer / Dial-Up Networking" and uninstal the toolbar icon that appeared.
Are there any other precautions that need to be taken, including how to stop this happening again in the future (Firewall, better anti-virus)?
With a premium rate connection fee of £1-20p per minute if this site is accessed, my son is highly alarmed that he might still be vulnerable to connecting to this unwanted site.

Lú-tzé 12:26 05 Jun 03

What I usually tell people is to ask their telecom provider to block premium rate calls from their line - that will at least prevent it dialling out. (I think that you can get a PIN to dial first if you want to access such numbers.)

Otherwise, clear the temp internet files cache on the PC and delete the email. Check also that it is not reinstalling itself upon restart - it may be in the registry and ready to go again on a reboot.

graham√ 12:29 05 Jun 03

A recent thread may be helpful click here

leo49 12:33 05 Jun 03

Spybot S&D is pretty good at rooting out the Reg entries of diallers.

REgards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5