Unwanted User Accounts - Help!

Hi folks

Recently I purchased and set up a computer for my Grandad then delivered it to his house which is 250 miles away! The PC is almost new so is running Windows XP SP2, complete with all Windows updates up to a few days ago. As he lives alone I set it up without setting up any user accounts other that the default 'Owner' account. Somehow after a week or so's use, and I have no idea how this could have happened, he has managed to set up 2 user accounts (in my name and his, he was assuming I had set it up using one of our names). He says he was asked to enter the account names duing the boot up process, and says he remembers something about files being copied as part of this process. Now when he logs in using either of the accounts he cannot see the software/settings I installed for him. My question is: How do we get back to the original 'Owner' account (it's not available on the log-on screen)?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

quack 22:51 13 May 05

Log on using Administrator Account go to Control Panel > User Accounts Click on the account you wish to delete and go to Change Account and delete from there.

Quack

Thanks for that - I did consider deleting them but thought it may kick us out altogether. The Owner account doesn't appear on the Control Panel screen. Will it return if I delete all the others?

Dave

quack 11:49 14 May 05

Not sure what you mean by 'Owner' account. You should have an account showing as Adminstrator and one as Guestby default. If you are worried about deleting the accounts you want to get rid of. Try changing the accounts to Limited and then turn them off. That way they will still be available to restore to Administrator should the whole procedure prove not to achieve what you require. If the computer runs OK you can then delete them

wobbly76 13:55 14 May 05

Dave, it is impossible to delete Admin. account, as there must always be one running.

w76

Quack/Wobbly

Thanks for those. I'll try and limit and disable the new accounts and see if that works. Now all I need to do is try and explain that to my Grandad over the phone!

Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…