unwanted smiley faces

jonnyg111 12:52 27 May 10

I'm working in Windows Live Mail with Windows 7, and whenever I type (x) in to an email (which is a lot as I am a mathematician!) it is replaced by a smiley face. How do I get rid of this feature please? (I really hate smiley faces(!))

Thank you,

Jonny

onthelimit 14:01 27 May 10

Seems there is no way other than CtrZ after it appears !click here

mgmcc 14:05 27 May 10

When you type (X) it turns into a smiley (emoticon). If you then type Ctrl+Z the emoticon is undone, leaving you with the X within brackets.

jonnyg111 15:05 27 May 10

Thank you, onthelimit and mgmcc, this works fine. Quite incredible that this is the the default. That's about 100 needless key presses a week for me!

Jonny

onthelimit 15:45 27 May 10

Happily, not a problem with Outlook .....yet!

BT 17:26 27 May 10

will put one in ?

BT 17:26 27 May 10

but not in here.

morddwyd 07:08 28 May 10

Do you really expect us to believe that the reason you type "x"s in an e-mail is because you're a mathematician? lol!

Sea Urchin 14:18 28 May 10

As a mathematician how often do you need to type (x) - or any other letter in brackets - on its own? I can believe you might type (x+y) or (a+b-c) etc. but these of course will not be converted to smileys.

jonnyg111 18:21 28 May 10

The conjecture is false for polynomials over F_p[x] generally, but counter-examples seem (after only limited checking) to be of the form:

( f(x ), g(x ), k_1(x )), (f(x ), h(x ), k_2(x )), (g(x ), h(x ), k_3(x ))

In other words there is a triplet of polynomials f, g, h, where

Sea Urchin 18:52 28 May 10

Yes, I can see that would be a problem :@)

Unfortunately as stated above Ctrl Z is the only way to suppress it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…