unwanted sex sites

jaimie 21:08 28 Jun 04

Help, A programme called NastSex has installed itself on my PC -univited I may add, also I'm plagued with a window telling me I've won a free ringtone which pops up every few minutes. I've run spybot and restored my PC to an earlier date, all to no avail. Norton 2004 reports no unusual activity. Running Win XP Pro masses of memory etc.
Anyone know what to do?

Jaimie

VoG II 21:14 28 Jun 04

I would advise other forum users NOT to Google for this.

Does it show up in Control Panel, Add and remove programs? If so, uninstall.

Otherwise, Start, Run, type in

msconfig

and click OK.

Look for it on the startup tan and untick it.

BUT is this actually a program or are you just getting pop-ups like click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:14 28 Jun 04

Anti Spyware :-
Spywareblaster click here
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
a2 click here
CW Shredder click here

Gaz 25 21:31 28 Jun 04

Ugh. Hate these damn marshals that land on your system.

Anyway - I would get some centent filtering software and use all the aforementioned anti-spyware software.

Mango Grummit 22:41 28 Jun 04

Anyone know what to do?

Yes --- if you have taken a drive image prior to the time when someone used your computer to wander around the internet then reinstall that image now. These things are damned hard to get rid of by conventional methods, sometimes impossible even for most everday users.

TomJerry 22:55 28 Jun 04

I had similar problem before, tried a few spy remove software, finally adware did the trick.

jaimie 18:06 29 Jun 04

Thanks everyone, I have run adaware and spybot, both found objects and deleted them but I'm still getting this dam ringtone popup which looks to be written by someone illiterate as the wording doesn't make sense. It pops up about every three minuites and won't take P*ss off for an answer. Anything else I can do? other than re-format?

Jaimie

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:14 29 Jun 04

Have you disabled messenger?....start-control panel-administrative tools-services-messenger and disable and stop the service.

G

mobileman1953 19:23 29 Jun 04

i was getting unwanted ring tone pop ups every few minutes turned out to be a trojan called automove.exe linked to a file called s\win32.exe started computer in safe mode deleted these from the registery and all was ok, not saying this is causing your problem but it cured mine

jaimie 19:51 29 Jun 04

Thanks Mobilieman1953 I have found automove in msconf and disabled it. How do I edit the registry to remove it?

I know how to get regedit running but where will I find the two files to delete please

Kind regards
Jaimie

SEASHANTY 20:15 29 Jun 04

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac