Unwanted pop ups & ads

kelemvor 22:54 14 Jun 07

Hi
I've been getting a lot of unwanted adverts popping up whilst surfing the net and would like some advice on how to prevent them in future.

I'm using ie7 (on a new laptop) and am using the pop up bocker that is built into it, but this seems to have litle effect. The main thing I have seen is that the pop ups aren't just small windows, they are full size - not sure if this makes any difference though.

Can anyonesuggest any changes that can be made to the computers' settings, or some software that I may use? Would spybot or the like help?

Thanks

skidzy 22:57 14 Jun 07

Plenty of advice click here

birdface 09:47 15 Jun 07

This is great for getting rid of pop-ups and flash objects.click here ,But I would check your system for Spyware first.

birdface 09:54 15 Jun 07

I would say it looks as though you have picked up some sort of Nastie.Try Updating your Anti-virus and spyware programs,And then go into Safe mode and run them.A Squared is quite a good program for getting rid of Spyware Malware ,Use the free Version, [ I think you can actually use the full version for a month,Then it will go back to free version.]If you use it Fully up-date it And then run a deep scan in safe mode.

ianeon 12:22 15 Jun 07

Why not install a Google Toolbar, this has a very good pop-up blocker.

kelemvor 23:12 20 Jun 07

I may have a go of A squared, but it does seem that i've picked something up.

I now keep getting windows popping up with 'AVsystemcare' written in them - trying to get me to use some sort of software. I'm also finding that if I open a few tabs in internet explorer, the program just drops out and I have to reopen it.

Has anyone heard of this before? and know of a tool for removing it?

Cheers

birdface 07:39 21 Jun 07

Googled, click here

birdface 07:59 21 Jun 07

click here If you read this it tells you of a program to get rid of AVsystemcare called Combofix,But it looks like you have to be carefull where you download it from as this program was also infected but has been repaired now, Worth a look if nothing else.

birdface 08:04 21 Jun 07

click here some folk have had problems with it,So might be better trying something else.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now