unwanted partition

pharte 14:21 30 Dec 03

I an running windows xp home and have managed to partition my drive into two partitions, the first (c) has only 7.84 mb capacity and the other (d) has 76.3mb.

Any programmes I want to download are placed on the 1st drive (c) which has no capacity and so will not accept any programmes.

I wish to remove it so I have only the one and the drives are labeled back as they were (ie. main hard drive being c, and the other two disc drives d and e respectively.)

all help gratefully recieved but make it as simple as possible please.

Gongoozler 15:23 30 Dec 03

To repartition the drive without losing data you will need dedicated software such as Partition Magic click here, or you may be able to find a trial version on a magazine cover disk.

Do keep your XP partition as is. Just move the downloaded files to the larger partition.

Better still if there is no data on the large partition then split it down again so that you have other partitions available. One would be used to place 'My Documents' and any other data in, another for games perhaps, yet another for downloaded trials...the list is a personal choice and is only restricted by the drive letters available.

The other option of merging partitions is only available with the likes of PartitionMagic, or Norton's Ghost/Powerquest DriveImage.

You can not easily use partitionMagic with XP excepting through Dos unless you are using Version 7 or later.

HTH

pharte 16:21 30 Dec 03

is it easier to swap the drive letters over and if so which is the easiest method.

Thanks so far for the replies but the partition magic website to download a trial version is not available !!!.

Gongoozler 11:02 31 Dec 03

I don't think it would be at all easy to swap the partition letters. Your smaller partition will have been formatted as the boot partition. Hopefully someone will come along and say that I'm wrong, and explain just how you can do what you want.

Alternatively, have a look at the web site of your hard drive manufacturer. You may find a free download that will let you resize your partitions.

Sheila-214876 12:14 31 Dec 03

I take it you mean gb and not mb? But all you need to do is make a folder on your D: drive (called downloads?) and when downloading files/programmes point to that folder. If you want to split D: drive further download the free Ranish from click here

pharte 15:13 31 Dec 03

thanks for the advice .... I still cannot get over the main problem I am having.

when I download xp service pack 1 it tries to put it into the small drive ("c" partition) and cannot because it is physically too small (7.84mb) whilst the other "d" partition is 76.3gb. I cannot see any options to send it to the bigger drive to download it.

Would a repair install of xp fix this ?

If I try to format it before erasing it (as suggested in the help file) windows will not let me format it.

The only files in it is a folder called downloaded files which is empty anyway but takes up 3.17mb of the total size.

Any further advice ???

Sheila-214876 16:39 31 Dec 03

You keep saying your C: drive partition is 7.84mb? you can't get XP on that size disk, in fact you can't get anything these days on that size disk.

pharte 16:45 31 Dec 03

honestly it is that size and was done automatically somehow....

thats why it will not accept any downloads on that drive which is also the default drive that the downloads go to.

how do you make it larger if I cannot delete it or merge it with the "d" drive ?

jim1947 16:53 31 Dec 03

Until someone confirms it. Right Click My Computer choose properties/manage/disk managment/local now from there delete your D partition, this should amalgamate all the space to C, now re-install your Apps. I am inclined to agree with ennuye, what you say cannot be the case Xp will not fit onto a partition that size.

leo49 17:04 31 Dec 03

Double,triple,quadruple check those partition sizes as 7.84 mb and 76.3mb do not make sense as neither will hold 1% of XP.

Tell us what is on each partition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…