Unwanted notification area icons

Chris the Ancient 20:20 30 May 03

I strongly suspect that this will be a registry area tweak...

But...

Is there anyway of *totally* removing icons from the notification area on the end of the task bar in Win XP Home?

I have various icons - that despite being flagged as 'always hide' keep popping up. And I don't need them. Also, in the 'past items' list, there are quite a few for software that is no longer on my machine.

Hence, I'd like to permanently lose them!

OK, not the end of the world. It's just a niggle. And I get plenty of those at home already!

TIA

Chris

powerless 20:59 30 May 03
  spikeychris 20:59 30 May 03

Chris, check out line 53 in click here

Chris

Chris the Ancient 21:12 30 May 03

Hey spikeychris. That's one heck of a site. Thanks. It's also gone into the favourites for longer perusal. Hanging on for the next link below and then I'll reboot and try.

Powerless. Trying your link, but M$ seem to be on a 'go slow' and taking mega-yonks to open that article. I'll give it another 5 minutes or so.

See. Ages and no answer. Go for a(nother) glass of wine and I get two!

Chris

Chris the Ancient 21:22 30 May 03

spikeychris.

Downloaded it, ran it, rebooted it and nuffink!

I have to confess to this notification area of mine being a puzzle as to why and how it keeps changing the status of notification icons. I've seen worse random number generators!

Chris

powerless 21:38 30 May 03

This article was previously published under Q283084

IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
click here Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry

SUMMARY

This article describes how to clear the Past Items list in the Customize Notifications window.
MORE INFORMATION

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To clear the Past Items list, perform the following steps:

Delete the IconStreams and PastIconsStream values from the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify

Open Task Manager, click the Processes tab, click Explorer.exe, and then click End Process.
In Task Manager, click File, click New Task, type explorer, and then click OK.

Chris the Ancient 21:49 30 May 03

Thanks for the copy. It came about 10 seconds after M$ gave it to me!

Now the interesting story.

I tried spikeychris's link. THEN I looked at the registry. It had cleared the data. Rebooted and the data was back!

So then I tried the M$ long-hand way and exactly the same result!

Now I have had previous problems in persuading my registry to accept changes that I have made. The only way I beat it was to make the changes about 10 times and then the registry submitted. That looks like tomorrow's approach. I'd like to beat it tonight, but Der Boss is insisting that I ought to go and eat! And when Der Boss speaks, Der Boss speaks!

Will check in again later to see if either of you have any bright ideas on how to make my registry do as it's told. Then I'll try the same technique on Der Boss!

Megathanks

Chris

spikeychris 22:11 30 May 03

Chris, the VBScript Script File should work when you double click the icon on desktop. If you double click it again it enables and disables etc.

Question: > Harder to understand >> registry... or...wife...stupid question

Chris

Chris the Ancient 22:52 30 May 03

Inside bits of body serviced.

Yup. Double-click the icon, registry changes. So far, so good.

Reboot the 'puter and the registry is back to where it was before changing the reg. A-a-a-a-r-r-g-g-h-h!

The answer to the question.... Yes!

Oh dear. The contents of my glass have evaporated - again. Better get a bit more.

Chris

ps. You never answered my question in your thread about good vibrations as to whether it was four kids, monitors or tin boxes!

spikeychris 23:04 30 May 03

3 kids, 4 monitors, One tin box (not mine)

Chris the Ancient 23:17 30 May 03

if I'm realistic, I got an answer to the original problem (and to my BTW to spikeychris).

The glitch in my registry not saving is something for tomorrow's experiments.

So, Thanks for all the help folks and I'm happy to close this thread.

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…