Unwanted member on forum. Spammer?

bob236 06 Oct 11
Answered

Hi. I help run a very small website. We get very few new members but over the past few months we've had some join who just posts one message and maybe a link to a commercial website. They always use the 'real name' of Juanita Valdez but a different user name each time and varying email addresses. We had been deleting them. We thought it was an automated spammer but after we altered the joining requirements to include age and occupation, these were filled out with '40 years' and 'accountant'. At the moment we have this potential member on hold in the pending file. Any ideas on who or what this might be? We had our site completed destroyed a couple of years ago by a hacker and don't want to go through that again. Should mention that 'Juanita Valdez' puts her/his location as Los Angeles but the ip address is UK based.

lotvic 06 Oct 11

Have a looksee on http://www.stopforumspam.com/ I found several references for that person. You can report and get more help there on how to cope with forum spam.

spuds 06 Oct 11
Answer

Probably not much use, but you could try contacting the UK IP address and see if you can report the problem.

Another alternative would be to consider a method of filtering and banning 'Juanita Valdez', which perhaps someone like Simon Jary or the FE might have the answer for you. They seem to cope well with this problem, on this website ?.

bob236 12 Oct 11

Thanks for the replies. We'll maybe have a go at contacting the IP Address provider sometime. I did check out Yahoo but they seem only to be interested in actual spam. This nob'ead is just trying to register on our site. We've been ignoring his attempts and letting him hang out in the pending file. Maybe he'll get fed up. Is it an automated attempt I wonder?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Behind the scenes at Silverstone, the 70th British Grand Prix: Hisense starts UK push with Red…

How Found created this skateboard, bike and parkour stunts-laden, single-take car ad

Apple Pay UK launch date, UK user guide and participating UK banks | Apple Pay to launch in UK on 1?…

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message