unwanted intruder on my pc

sue1201 23:09 28 Aug 03

What do Pc Advisor members know about the site called i-lookup.com?

I think I or someone in my family linked to this site a couple of weeks ago and since then we can't get rid of it. It has added its own toolbar to IE. I un-check the toolbar every time, and check "lock toolbars", but every time I open IE it comes up again.

It adds 4 folders to my Favourites folder every time I use IE as well - Gambling, Hot Links, I-Lookup Favourites and Messenger Links. I delete these folders but they come back every time I log on.

I installs itself as my home page in Internet Options. I have changed it, outlawed it as best I know how using Internet Options and Zone Alarm Pro, and still it comes back every time.

This may be a coincidence, but also since i-lookup has been around we have all received junk email of the type you don't want children to see!

Anybody got any idea how I can get rid of it? I don't like the tone of the site and I hate it invading my pc space like this.

TIA
Sue

powerless 23:14 28 Aug 03

Remove it with click here install, update, scan and remove.

Also click here

Stop the homepage being locked... click here

that'll do!

jazzypop 23:14 28 Aug 03

click here for removal instructions.

Download Spywareblaster to help prevent a reoccurrence.

Also download AdAware, and run it regularly to help get rid of anything that sneaks past Spywareblaster.

escribe 23:16 28 Aug 03

I seem to remember their IT section covered this recently.

Forum Editor 23:23 28 Aug 03

Of this nasty little pest. so forgive the long-winded post that follows. Pick your particular variant and get rid of it as follows:-

1. Open the 'Downloaded Program Files' folder in the Windows folder in your C drive.

2. Right-click the object called 'I-Lookup.com Bar' (Ineb and Abeb variants), 'GlobalWebSearch.com Bar' (Gws and Chgrgs variants), 'SearchBus.com Bar' (Sbus variant), 'GlobalToolbar.com Bar' (Drbr variant) or 'Search Bar' (Bmeb variant). Click 'Remove'.

3. Next, open a command prompt window (Start->Programs->Accessories) and enter the following commands.
For the Ineb variant:

cd "%WinDir%\System"
regsvr32 /u Ineb.dll

Or for Gws:

cd "%WinDir%\System"
regsvr32 /u GWS.dll

Or for Chgrgs:

cd "%WinDir%\System"
regsvr32 /u Chgrgs.dll

Or for Abeb:

cd "%WinDir%\System"
regsvr32 /u abeb.dll

Or for Bmeb:

cd "%WinDir%\System"
regsvr32 /u bmeb.dll

Or for Sbus:

cd "%WinDir%\System"
regsvr32 /u sbus.dll

Or for Drbr:

cd "%WinDir%\System"
regsvr32 /u drbr.dll

4. Finally, in Internet Explorer go to Tools/Internet Options and click the programs tab. Then click the button marked "Reset Web Settings" to get the normal search sidebar back, reset your homepage, and delete the extra bookmarks added to the Favorites menu. If you like, you can also open the registry (Start/Run and type:regedit) and delete the key:-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ineb

That should be that - good luck, and don't hesitate to come back here if you get stuck.

jazzypop 23:23 28 Aug 03

Just in case Powerless and my postings appear confusing or contradictory...

Both Adaware and Spybot are similar problems that will scan your PC for nasties such as i-lookup, and will remove them for you. Each has a differnt style, and each will catch the odd thing that the other won't, but they basically do the same job.

Spguard does a specific job, which is to prevent your homepage from being altered to something else (such as i-lookup). Spywareblaster protects against a wider range of 'nasties' - it just sits in the background, blocking al the nasties that it knows about.

All of the programs above should be updated regularly (weekly is OK), as new threats appear daily.

The page at doxdesk is a specific set of instructions to remove i-love

Good luck.

daba 00:17 29 Aug 03

Perhaps worth mentioning that AdAware and Spybot need to be RUN regularly, not just updated. They don't 'sit in the background' like the others you mentioned.

Another caveat, some software uses "C-Dilla" as its 'paid-for' status info, and removing that with Spybot or AdAware or anything else will stop the purchased program working.

C-Dilla has been on my PC now for well over a year, and I haven't seen any side-effects.

sue1201 21:47 30 Aug 03

Daba, Jazzypop, Powerless and Co
and of course the Forum Editor (wow, how important am I?)

Lots of help here, thank you very much. I only just got back to my computer tonight, and will follow your instructions to the letter.

Why does i-lookup do these things? What is the point? Could it have caused other problems that I'm not aware of yet? Was it really the cause of those nasty emails? (in the past these have been received as a result of curiosity - family members, myself included, having a "quick look" at something dodgy!) Are there any other similar pests to watch out for? CAN they be outlawed by ZoneAlarm or through Internet Options?

Sorry, lots of questions. Am I being paranoid?

Anyway, thanks again.

Sue

VoG II 21:52 30 Aug 03

iLookup is what is generally known as a "parasite". They are easily picked up and can be a pain. All of the above advice is good. Also click here

VoG II 21:54 30 Aug 03

Also click here

powerless 21:55 30 Aug 03

There are many like i-lookup that will do all alsorts to your PC.

A scan with adaware and Spybot will and should find them. However just using common sense will help you and you'll find that when a scan is run it will only pick up harmless cookies that are related to advertising.

"Could it have caused other problems that I'm not aware of yet?" - Well as you have no problems that you are aware of - it probably means you have NO problems.

Zonealarm will prevent the nasties from "phoning Home" and you should be alerted to this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…