Unwanted Internet Connection

thedarkhorse 14:36 12 Apr 04

I'm running Windows XP Pro, and for the past few months my computer will attempt to connect to the internet (as if I've chosen for it to). It does this every half an hour or so. Somehow it bypasses ZoneAlarm, I've checked for virsues (Norton Antivirus 2002 with latest defs.) and Ad-Ware (Adaware). Nothing came up with either of these. Anyhelp would be very much appreciated

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 14:38 12 Apr 04

Is it ZA itself checking for updates ? although it doesnt usually do it every half an hour try
click here

This should tell you what dials out and uses your connection.

Regards.

thedarkhorse 14:53 12 Apr 04

Well, I'm guessing not. I've told it not to and normally when it does it asks to access the internet in one of its little yellow boxes

Stuartli 15:53 12 Apr 04

ZA will inform you which program is attempting to access the Internet when it asks for permission.

thedarkhorse 18:02 12 Apr 04

But the thing is, ZA isn't registering any activity (no yellow box). The Dialer just starts up spontaneoulsy

fsbb 20:07 12 Apr 04

Did you install any new programmes prior to this problem? I had same problem when I installed RealOne Player which had a persistant updater if it isn't disabled. I had a similar problem when I first installed XP Home with Messenger which kept trying to connect, disable it.

Have you checked your network connections? A rogue dialer may have installed itself.

I think ZA will only show an alert once your modem has connected and the programme tries to access the Internet. The alert will give a description of the programme. This is how I resolved the 2 problems I had as mentioned above.

end 00:19 13 Apr 04

I had this once with Norton antivirus looking for its updates after Jan 7th (the revocation certificate was out of date or something like that, and every time I logged on I got the dial up box) may not be but might.....have since unchecked the tab in internet advanced options to stop looking for the certificate, and have had no problems since.at the time I THOUGHT I had spyware on here, and got my answer from a thread on this forum.......it may be the answer for you, if not someone WILL have..... ( just an idea......)

Stuartli 13:28 13 Apr 04

The latest version of ZA has its own automatic update check - you have to disable it to ensure you can do it manually, the reverse of the previous versions.

medicine hat 13:48 13 Apr 04

Just to keep you on your toes, eh?

Or could it be an email program, say Outlook, checking for new mail?

thedarkhorse 14:18 14 Apr 04

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all your advice.

In the end I ran Spybot S&D (recomended by somebody on a Microsoft forum). No prob since then. Fingers crossed.

Oh and fsbb, zonealarm pops up when anything wants to connect, whether you're on or off the net. Very disconcerting how many prorammes want to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…