unwanted home page is back!

Bellissima 20:36 31 Jul 04

i still have an unwanted home page... i used to have a web tool bar (cool search) after deleting this programme i still have the search page come up instead of about blank as home page.... i have run S&Dspybot ..have good norton anti virus....... i thought i had sorted it when i used cw shredder but the next day this search page is back hijacking my home page ...... any more suggestions plz.......running windows xp and only internet explorer is affected( netscape ok) thanks

DAGO49 20:46 31 Jul 04

Hi,
you could try clicking 'start' then 'run' and type msconfig and then OK it this will open msconfig window on the far right is a tab labelled 'Startup' click on this you will now see a list of processes that run every time you boot, look down the list and see if there is 'coolweb' whatever running if there is untick the box, OK it and restart your PC, when it re-boots you will be told that you have made changes, tick the box to say 'Don't show this message again' and close it, run spybot and any other spy searchers you have if they find it again now they should be able to get rid of it now that it is not running in the background. hope this helps otherwise ...keep looking

regards
dago49

THE TERMINATOR 20:48 31 Jul 04

click here ....TT

wednesday 13 20:49 31 Jul 04

On the dial up, select settings before dialing up. check what your homepage is and if it's autoblank or there isn't one, change it to whatever you want. If not, try re-installing Internet explorer. Hope it works. I'll think of other possabillities incase.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:05 31 Jul 04

could be in your restore files

switch off system restore, run shredder, switch restore back on and set a new restore point.

reset your home page

VoG II 21:12 31 Jul 04

Also, did you try ALL of the solutions click here

terryr48 23:07 31 Jul 04

Have you cleared all your temp internet files & cookies,
and then run cw shredder? and then restarted your comp .I found this worked for my mate (but he was running win 98) he has not had it return since.

Bellissima 13:04 06 Aug 04

i have tried almost everthing above .....still comes back after resart.
i have found a prog "hijack this" which gives a diagnostic report..... does n e one know where i can post this report and get help with wich items 2 remove (computer cops used to do this but no longer run this free service )

also tried all of the above solutions except 1 which manualy removes the prog ...to do this i need windows startup disk to run regedit which i do not have..ive had this comp from new less than a year ...should i have been given a windows installation disk with comp?? plz thanks

jaytee45 13:19 06 Aug 04

Try downloading adaware and spybot. It did the trick for me.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:30 06 Aug 04

Try this click here

keith-236785 13:42 06 Aug 04

Fruit Bat /\0/\, though your intentions are good and your advice is normally spot on....i have to disagree with your advice of turning OFF system restore as this was the ONLY way for me to recover from a browser hijack. i don't usually knock others advice but once you turn off system restore, there is no going back.

please think carefully before turning off system restore. if you find a virus/trojan or other nasty in system restore, let me know and i will explain how to remove the infected entry only.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…