Unwanted files appearing in folders

m800afc 03:56 09 May 08

I have clean re-installed XP Pro. Now I find folders with names:
RECYCLER, System Volume information, thumbs and folders with filenames consisting of 30 or so numbers and letters.
Where are they coming from and how do I stop them appearing. It is only happening since my re-install, and I especially don't want the files on external drives, which is what is happening at the moment.

rawprawn 07:48 09 May 08

Are you getting "Access Denied" if you try and delete them? if so try
click here Take ownership and then delete them.

m800afc 08:05 09 May 08

I am able to delete the files with the help of Unlocker. They just keep appearing, and they are everywhere. Could it be part of an indexing application that I am unaware of? I am unable to open any of the files to examine them, even though I am the administrator.

I am Spartacus 08:49 09 May 08

They're system files and are normally hidden. Turn off the options to view system files and hide protected operating system files. Open Explorer, Select Tools, Folder Options, View and tick the appropriate settings.

m800afc 16:19 09 May 08

I am Spartacus,
Thanks for the information. Before my re-install I had view system files turned on, and the files currently under discussion were not present. Since the re-install these files are appearing in almost every folder.
For example: My external drive L contains all my music in a file imaginatively called Music. The actual mp3's were in the usual type of foler heirarchy within Music. There were no other files on the drive. Now there is "RECYCLER", in capital letters, "System Volume Information", and occasional alpha-numeric folders. At one point there were nine separate folders in addition to Music. If there was just one set of these files then I could live with them, especially if they are needed, but they seem to be everywhere. They are also displayed even when the view option is turned off. Are they actually system files, or are they an inexing/archiving utility that has snook in under the radar?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:42 09 May 08

System Volume Information click here

RECYCLER click here

Adjust system restore to use less of your drive space click here

rawprawn 16:45 09 May 08

Under normal circumstances I would agree with I am Spartacus. I admit to not being sure but it sound more as though these files were not deleted when you reinstalled and are remnants.
I would like you to get other opinions, but if they were mine I would try turning Syatem Restore Off and rebooting (Don't forget to turn it back on)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac