Unwanted dialup box

satyr77 21:05 14 Jan 04

When booting up my PC (Windows ME and IE6) has recently begun to display persistently the dialup dialgue box prompting me to connect to my default ISP before the boot-up process is complete. This also happens when launching a program, eg MS Word.The dialogue box only disappears after several attempts to cancel or minimise it.

If I allow the dialup to go ahead during boot-up the system connects to my ISP but without Norton Internet Security loaded. The boot-up will not complete (loading Norton is the last item in the system tray)unless the dialup-box is closed.

Norton AV suggests I am clear if viruses and AdAware and SpyBot both suggest I am clear of other malicious scripts. I do a full wash and shred with Window Washer before shutting down each time. There are no apparent malicious diallers in the dialup connections folder.

Any ideas please? I would like to achieve a clean boot-up to a screen of icons without having to fight off the dialogue box! What, for example, might I look for in the startup folder which would indicate a dialler prompt and which I might resonably safely remove?

kev.Ifty 21:46 14 Jan 04

don't know the answer, but i have same problem exactly, so would like to know aswell,bump :)

Pikaser 22:09 14 Jan 04

Have you updated Norton recently?

Big Elf 22:36 14 Jan 04

What's listed in your startup folder?

Have you checked the Norton settings to ensure that it's not trying to connect for updates when ME starts.

I don't know if ME has msconfig (Start, Run, type msconfig and then click OK) but if so you may be able to identify a program on the startup tab.

lotvic 00:32 15 Jan 04

also in IE6 goto 'Tools' > Internet Options > Connections, and make sure the dot is in the circle for 'Never dial a connection' then you will be able to control your dial-up manually by clicking on your ISP icon when you want to connect

hugh-265156 00:52 15 Jan 04

maybe something is trying to connect to the internet as windows starts.it could be a legit program or something else.

try stsrt/run type msconfig and click the start up tab.untick all but your AV and firewall and restart the computer.also do as lotvic suggests.

if you need help identifing start up programs in msconfig then click here and look them up before unticking(you can always put the tick back if you have problems)

may also be worth running an up to date AV and spybot or adaware click here click here just in case.

hugh-265156 00:52 15 Jan 04

stsrt/run read as start/run

magicone 17:09 15 Jan 04

Your problem is being caused by Norton Liveupdate downloaded on the 7/8 Jan. Because of an out of date certificate from Verisign, your computer is trying to get an updated version before it loads NAV. That's the problem. Now the solution.

Open internet explorer and click on the tools menu. Click on internet options. Click on the advanced tab. Scroll down the list till you get to the section titled 'security'. Uncheck the box which says 'Check for publishers revocation certificate' Click on 'Apply' at the bottom. Restart, and problem solved. Good Luck.

satyr77 21:52 15 Jan 04

I discovered that four programs bundled with a new Canon scanner were each prompting dialup in order to be registered.

I pruned some defunct items from my startup folder by using the cleanup tool.

Lastly, magicone's suggestion of unchecking the "check for revocation....." box in IE tools (advanced) killed the last unwanted dialup prompt.

Many thanks to all!

kev.Ifty 22:36 15 Jan 04

cheers mate shall try that. THANX!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…