Unwanted dialogue box on boot up refers to Windows Live Mail

Ankermi 15:39 PM 06 Jan 13

I originall posted this under Windows 7 heading it "Windows Live Mail"

Basically I have upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 with no problem other than whenever I boot up I get a dialogue box saying I have no associated email programme, to install one or if I have to set it as the default programe. Well Windows Live Mail is installed, it is set as default and functions very well.

What I am trying to do with no luck despite helpful advice is to remove this nuisance.

It has been suggested I post on another forum other than Windows 7 so hopefully fresh ideas will be forthcoming.

Thank you

difarn 16:15 PM 06 Jan 13

I came across an article about the same problem and it was resolved by taking ownership and full control permissions - instructions attached - they are the same for Vista and Windows 7. May just work.

Ankermi 09:12 AM 10 Jan 13

Thanks difarn,

Got myself through your "link" but the box still appearing.

Due to the lack of replies on the forum, I guess there is nothing much that can be done about it.

Somewhat surprised though as first time in 8 years I have had negative responses.

difarn 06:47 AM 11 Jan 13

Just come across this solution on the Microsoft Community forum.

"Some new information: I removed (unchecked the box) ["c:\Program Files\Spare Backup\SpareBackup.exe" /silent] from the Startup tab of the MSConfig utility (on the Run command line). That made the error message not appear--that is, it fixed the problem."

rdave13 18:25 PM 11 Jan 13

In the Default Programs and Associate a file type or protocol with a program section have you scrolled down to near the bottom and checked that "Mailto" (protocol) is also associated with Windows Live Mail and also .rss. Just a thought.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…