Unwanted Dial-up connections

RogerB 20:16 21 Apr 03

I have Windows 98. Every time I open Windows Explorer and click on a folder, within about 5 seconds I have about 30 Dial-up connection tabs appear on the bar - whatever it's called - the one with the Start button. I can leave them and carry on with what I'm doing, but every now and again a dail-up connection window appears on the screen. If I cancel, the next usually appears in its place. It's not critical, just a nuisance. Any ideas, please?

AndySD 20:28 21 Apr 03

Try using the System File Checker.

Put your windows CD into the CD ROM and hold the shift key (the one with arrow pointing up, just above the Ctrl key on the left of your keyboard). Holding shift for a few seconds will stop the Windows CD from auto running, but the drive will still spin up to read the disk then spin back down again. Once it has spun down you can release the shift key.
Now click Start, and then click Run. In the Run command line type the letters SFC then click OK. This will launch the System File Checker that will sift through your Windows System Files looking for anything that has been replaced by an older version of the one it got from the Windows install.

If it finds any files that have been altered it will tell you and will prompt you on whether you would like to replace the files. If you would, the Windows CD is already in the CD ROM ready for your PC to read the files from, so just follow the prompts.

There is a nice, clear overview of the SFC tool and how to use it at the following link and I suggest you click on it and read about it to make sure you are prepared for what you will see and how to deal with it.

If this does not fix things, post another message and one of us will walk you through other possible fixes.

click here

RogerB 15:36 30 Apr 03

AndySD - many thanks for your help. I've tried for days to get the overview from your 'click here' without success, but I've now put my faith in your directions with the CD Rom and found it remarkably trouble free. One file was corrupted - something to do with setup.dll -which I replaced and all seems to be well so far. Many thanks again, and sorry to have been so long in getting back.
RogerB

woodchip 16:14 30 Apr 03

You can check to see whats running in Start/Run type MSCONFIG and run check start-up tab untick if you do not want anything to run. You need to leave Explorer, Systray, other's you can see, by running your computer with them unticked if you need anything just go back and put a tick in the box

krall 17:55 30 Apr 03

Hi AndySD, I have same problem with WinXP. Will procedure outlined for RogerB work with my o/s.
Many thanks.

AndySD 18:09 30 Apr 03

If you have a full XP cd go Start choose Run type in

command

in the command prompt box type in

sfc /scannow

and hit Enter. Make sure the XP cd is in the cd drive.

krall 18:33 30 Apr 03

AndySD
I do not have full Win XP but I do have Medion CD which was supplied with their PC. I also have a RECOVERY partition on the hard drive.Are these of any use?

roygbiv 16:51 01 May 03

Sorry, i need this in my postings (for reference). thanks.

AndySD 17:46 01 May 03

Its not something I have done. But if the Recovery Partition is visable in my computer and it contains .cab files you should be able to point sfc to it if if finds something amis.

If not try using system restore to a point you know it was working.

krall 22:04 01 May 03

AndySD,solved problem with system restore. Many thanks.

RogerB 17:16 13 May 03

Reference my query of 21 April and the reply from AndySD. I thought that using the System File Checker had solved the problem, but it's come back - although I now get only five unwanted dial up connections instead of thirty! It seems to happen when I click on a folder in Windows Explorer. I've run SFC again, but it doesn't say that anything is wrong. Any further ideas would be gratefully received.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…