Unwanted desktop icon

Windsor 17:11 05 Apr 06

I run XP Pro. Recently, an icon on Control Panel, namely 'Faxes and Printers' has appeared on my desktop. I don't want it but how ever hard I try it can't be deleted. I have been into 'desktop' and the same from there - I can't delete it.

Can anyone suggest a means to get rid of this pest!

Windsor

MichelleC 17:15 05 Apr 06

I had similar. I deleted it by creating a folder and pasting file inside.

terryf 17:16 05 Apr 06

Have you tried going to safe mode, log in as admin, and delete it there

rawprawn 17:17 05 Apr 06

Why should you want to delete it? It is your Control Panel entry for Printers and Faxes as it says.

Windsor 18:32 05 Apr 06

Rawprawn

I already have in icon in Control panel and just want to get rid of this 'surplus' one.

Windsor 18:33 05 Apr 06

MicelleC

I've tried tis but to no avail.

Windsor 18:34 05 Apr 06

Terryf

I have tried in safe mode but no go. How do I log in a admin?

Windsor 18:34 05 Apr 06

Terryf

I have tried in safe mode but no go. How do I log in a admin?

rawprawn 18:36 05 Apr 06

Sorry I didn't realise you had a family of them. Have you tried Right Click/Explore/ are there two showing there, and can you delete one from there.

iambeavis 18:38 05 Apr 06

If all else fails you can right click the icon, choose properties, tick hidden then apply and ok. Not the best solution but it will be out of sight.

alB 18:57 05 Apr 06

You could try Tweak UI from click here It's a small application that allows you to "tweak" some settings on XP, it does have a desktop section that lists certain icons that can be shown or not ...alB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…