//some 3rd party need geo

Unwanted 'Cuckoo' in 'Favorites' list.

Rayspan 13:55 05 Sep 05

Favorites listing contains a folder 'online gaming.'
Right click presents 'close toolbar'- only that, no 'delete' option.

This folder does not appear in either 'organise favorites' list, or windows explorer favorites list.

Associated with it, a toolbar opens itself at the bottom of IE screen leading to a number of on line gambling links.

I have run Spybot, Adaware, BHODemon, MS Antispyware Beta, cwshredder and of course, Norton Anti- virus, all to no effect.

Can anyone help me prise this wretched maggot out of the system?

AndySD 13:59 05 Sep 05

Have you looked in add/remove programs

Rayspan 15:34 05 Sep 05

If only! Nope, this is only visible in the favorites drop-down list on the IE6 toolbar.

rawprawn 16:18 05 Sep 05

Try system restore to a date before the problem occurred, if that doesn't work Have you tried searching the registry? Start/Run/ type regedit Click on Edit/Find and type "online gaming" without the " "or the exact name then click find next. delete anything related it finds and click Find next, continue until it finds no mre.Do not touch anything else and MAKE A BACKUP before you start (Start/Run/type regedit click File /click export and choose where you want to keep the registry backup).

rawprawn 16:26 05 Sep 05

You could also try looking in Favourites in Windows Explorer in C: drive, does it appear, and can you delete it? if you can find it there try deleting it from there in safe mode (Tap F8 on boot)

rawprawn 16:38 05 Sep 05

A better idea is to post a hijackthis log on this click here site.

Terry Brown 17:44 05 Sep 05

If you get really stuck, go into safe mode--select prompt.type in 'dir\gaming /* and this should find all instances of this folder (assuming it is listed under that name)on your hard drive

Rayspan 21:44 05 Sep 05

Thanks for your interest everyone - I'll give those ideas a whirl tomorrow. Watch this space!

Rayspan 22:37 06 Sep 05

Progress??? report!

1) Search with Regedit/'Find next' on 'Online Gaming' turned up nothing. Big disappointment that.

2) Followed up by running 'hijackthis.'

Inspection of the log shows at least two suspicious items, and I have posted it to the site you indicated rawprawn. Being no expert I'll wait a response from them before I attempt to take my cuckoo by the horns - please excuse the mixed metaphor!

Will let you know what happens.

Rayspan 23:48 24 Sep 05

Cuckoo has now been forcibly ejected, minus most of its feathers!!!

Thanks to your suggested link rawprawn - ran 'HijackThis' & posted results on Malware removal forum. They responded with detailed instructions which have well and truly ousted the bird, along with another couple of parasites I'd hardly noticed.

Many thanks everyone.

Regards

Rayspan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…