unwanted calls

broggs 18:42 09 Jul 04

Sorry but not a pc related problem but one which affects us all.
I have been off work this week and have been amazed at the number of spam calls on my telephone which Ihave got this week trying to sell me something or take part in a survey.Usually when I am working I get at least 2 per night starting from about sixpm.
Most of them dont seem to be from this country as the caller always pronounces my name wrong (Broadley) and most have very English names but sound like they are speaking in pidgeon english.
Help..........how do I get rid of them.
I have to have my phone on at all times as I am the first in line if the security have a problem at work.I also go to bed at 8pm-9pm so Sometimes these calls wake me up.
They even rang ay 8am sunday morning once.
I finally cracked today giving the caller much abuse before slamming the phone down (for the 5th time today).

Anyone who can help?
cheers.

VoG II 18:46 09 Jul 04

Say you are busy but will call them back. Ask for their full name and phone number. Works every time.

Chris the Ancient 18:49 09 Jul 04

One thing that can help...

Double check in your telephone directory and you will find a bit on 'nuisance calls'. You can follow that and register for the 'telephone preference scheme'. It takes a while to all trickle through the system - but once it does, that should cut down the number of unwanted sales calls dramatically.

I did it a couple of years ago; and since then, hardly any.

HTH

Chris

sicknote 18:50 09 Jul 04

You have write to these people, i see now you can inform them online click here

Smiler 18:52 09 Jul 04

Go to this site click here and register free I did and after about 28 days the calls stopped.

If you receive silent calls look at this page for a telephone number to ring (This requires re register every year) again free

Smiler 18:53 09 Jul 04

Go to this site click here and register free I did and after about 28 days the calls stopped.

If you receive silent calls look at this page click here for a telephone number to ring (This requires re register every year) again free

Forgot the link in first post

sicknote 19:01 09 Jul 04

Sorry sent you the wrong link it should have been the same as Smiler's :-)

broggs 19:07 09 Jul 04

thanks everyone just registered with the tps.........28 days to go before peace.
cheers.

VCR97 19:14 09 Jul 04

If you are also sick of large chunks of rain forest being shoved through your letter box, register with the Mailing Preference Service at Freepost 22, London W1E 7EZ. Works a treat.

the kopite 19:20 09 Jul 04

Just phone BT and they will stop them it takes 28 days though

Smiler 19:39 09 Jul 04

you can also register for mail preference on the same site click on mps & register to stop unsolicited mail being sent to your address

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…