Unwanted AOL pop up

Kernel 08:56 08 Feb 08

For months now every time I disconnect from AOL I get a pop up stating that AOL Cannot start and that I must re-start my computer or use the provided re-install button. Using the re-install button merely takes me to a page of AOL freebie downloads.

The Pop up states that the Error starting is
ee://aol/connectivity/connectivity and the Error code is 10.

I have spent hours on the chat line to AOL technical help and on their instructions hve uninstalled AOL, re-installed AOL, rebuilt the adapter/ACS several times all to no avail, the damned thing still appears. Itseems their only answer is to deleteor uninstall and start again but nothing works.

AOL are absolutely resistant to my requests for someone to interpret the codesto the point that I suspect they haven't a clue what it is.

Can anyone help me get rid of it?

Marko797 10:13 08 Feb 08

1 click fixes or the computer check-up.

provider 2 11:07 08 Feb 08

It sounds as if you are re-installing a faulty version of the AOL software. Is it an old disc you are using? Might be better to download it from the AOL site.

As for pop-ups, have you clicked the little window: Blocking Pop-Ups> Set Pop-Up Control Preferences, which gives you some measure of control over what appears.

Kernel 11:25 08 Feb 08

I've tried One Click fixes - zilch. Computer check up tells me the computer is OTT on performance and spec; I've checked the boxes in Web Pop up, I've uninstalled AOL9.0 and downloaded AOL VR on their recommendation - again zilch. What is frustrating is that no one seems to know what the error codes mean, I am sure that a one line deletion from the registry would probably cure it but which line?

rdave13 11:30 08 Feb 08

As provider 2 says, download from AOL. Maybe worth trying AOL VR. When uninstalling AOL it's better to remove all the other software first, such as one click fixes and acs then remove the main AOL program. After reboot run something like crap cleaner. Then try a reinstall.

Marko797 11:41 08 Feb 08

removing the AOL folders in Programme Files, and then going for the re-install via download, as rdave13 says. Just make sure you keep the 'organise' folder though and reinsert after the insatll. This, I believe holds ur favourites & email pfc.

provider 2 11:52 08 Feb 08

If you`re still having problems and are convinced it`s a registry thing, I believe that rather than manual deleting of individual items ( which can play merry hell if you get it wrong), you should use Ccleaner registry clean option, taking a back-up first.

User-1229748 13:06 08 Feb 08

there are even two different installations of aol vr if you download online.1 where a male voice says 'welcome to aol' and 2 where a female voice says 'welcome to aol.i found number 2 was the only one that works well.Did you try the quick restore in the aol system information?

dave2121 22:08 09 Feb 08

You are not alone Kernel, I'm having the very same annoying message pop up every time I close AOL.
Btw, this has only happened since I purchased a new hard drive tower with the new Windows Vista format, and having loaded the VR version of AOL from the cd that came with it.

Acting on a tip above, I've downloaded AOL VR direct fom the AOL website, so we'll see if that helps. I have exited AOL just the once since then, and on doing so was prompted to install a connectivity update (which I did), and the 'error' pop up didn't show either.

So we'll see how it goes :)

rdave13 22:37 09 Feb 08

Depending how you connect to the internet, AOL Connectivity Service (ACS) is not needed. In Control Panel, add/remove , AOL (select which versions to remove) I've uninstalled all the peripheral software. Eg.,one click fixes, antispyware, etc. Once they have been uninstalled the last one is ACS. That will require a reboot. Important to do it in that order otherwise some elements might not uninstall.
My setup is via Netgear modem/router and when signing on to AOL it shows connecting via TCP/IP.
Web pages load faster now even using the AOL browser/software. Be warned, however, that uninstalling ACS is final and the only way to reinstall it is through reinstalling AOL.Any one connecting via a usb modem should not do this.
The only reason I'm still using AOL's software is that the lady of the house likes the 'favourite' toolbar at the top. Things we do for love eh?

mrwoowoo 00:18 10 Feb 08

I had a similar problem with aol and xp.
Reinstalling in safemode did the trick after removing all traces of aol first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…