Unwanted adverts on hotmail account

westgolf 10:50 AM 10 Jul 13

My Hotmail account has lost a quarter of the top of the Inbox page to an advert that says;Codecs are required for this program & there is an option to download - which seems very suspicious ? Can anyone please advise how I can remove the unwanted advert.The advert also appears on my Hotmail Calendar page & prevents me from seeing a full month. I dont want to download & get problems ! Many Thanks.

Nontek 13:00 PM 10 Jul 13

If your OS is XP (for instance) Google for Latest XP Codecs, then download and install from any site you choose. The messages should then stop. - same applies for whatever OS you have.

Everybody needs up-to-date Codecs.

spuds 13:04 PM 10 Jul 13

Nontek beat me to it.

At present I seem to get annoying messages about Shockwave anf kill page :O)

spuds 18:39 PM 10 Jul 13

Took three+ minutes to download that response?.

spuds 18:43 PM 10 Jul 13

Don't know what happened above, I posted that response some time ago, at about 1.08PM?.

Nontek 20:10 PM 10 Jul 13

Maybe the Friday Gremlins have moved to mid-week LOL ...

westgolf 06:56 AM 11 Jul 13

Thanks for the info.OS is Vista.I have downloaded the Codecs updates as described but it hasn't changed anything.Any further ideas please ?

michaelw 09:08 AM 11 Jul 13

Download install ADWCleaner click here and read the running instructions on the download page.

This is what worked for me with the same problem.

westgolf 09:00 AM 14 Jul 13

Sorted now & well pleased,Thanks for the ADW cleaner.Brilliant !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Harry Potter's graphic designers showcase magical props & posters in new exhibition

Apple rumours & predictions 2016: What to expect from Apple in 2016