Unviewable Jpegs

JimX 20:25 12 Aug 05

I have a lot of photographs stored in various folders as jpegs (with XP Pro). Now all the thumbnails have disappeared. If I try to view a photo in Picture and Fax Viewer I get "No preview available". If I use Paint I get "This is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported". If I save one of these files to a floppy and try to view it I get the same thing, but new jpegs saved to the c: drive are fine.

After looking at some related threads I did an error-checking exercise (My Computer, right click on C: drive, Properties, Tools). This looked promising - text appeared saying something like "Windows has replaced a bad cluster" for every jpeg - but the problem is still there. The only difference is that each folder now contains a new file called "Thumbs".

This all started when I tried to back up the files to a DVD-R. Windows created a temporary file ready to transfer but couldn't recognise the disc. I gave up, deleted the temp file, went back to the main Pictures folder and noticed two odd files that hadn't been there before. One might have been called Thumbs. I deleted them, which is when the trouble began.

Sorry to go on. All suggestions gratefully received.

Jim

johnnyrocker 20:40 12 Aug 05

you could always try system restore to before when you started working with them or click here and work with them using this

j

JimX 21:17 12 Aug 05

Thanks, but I'd tried system restore and it didn't help. Downloaded IrfanView but it just says "Can't read file header. Unknown file format."

johnnyrocker 00:06 13 Aug 05

it would appear from reading previous posts/solutions one can d/load a product called iso buster which may help dont know where to find it but a google search may help

johnny.

rawprawn 08:16 13 Aug 05

click here Best one I know, it has never let me down

mattyc_92 09:29 13 Aug 05

I had this problem, and the only way I could reslove it was to change the file format.

Have tried this? (you will need to go to "Tools->Folder Options->View" and untick "Hide extensions for known types" and click OK. Now just rename the image but include ".bmp" or ".png", etc...)

JimX 11:09 13 Aug 05

johnnyrocker - isobuster seems to be for recovering files from CDs, but mine didn't make it that far.

rawprawn - if I try to use this one to recover the files to a CD, it just tells me an "unexpected error" has occurred.

mattyc_92 - doesn't matter what I change the file format to, I still get "no preview available".

Doesn't look too good, does it? That's what I get for trying to back up...

JimX 08:12 14 Aug 05

:(

rfred 12:29 14 Aug 05

Try using that program. It seems to cope with some of those problem pictures and then when you see them the program lets you rename them

Fred

lotvic 12:36 14 Aug 05

If you want I will have a go at opening one of them. Check your Yellow envelope and let me know if you want to, then I will respond and give you my email addy to send it to.

rawprawn 13:27 14 Aug 05

Don't try to recover them to a CD, us another drive if you have one (Slave) or recover to a different file in My Docoments. Create one if you want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…