Unusual email

Les 09:32 14 Nov 03

Has anyone received an Email headed as follows:

Mail Delivery Subsystem

Returned Mail User unknown

With an attachment (could be the original message?)

Reason for asking, I haven't sent an attachment to anyone and, although I have AVG I'm reluctant to open it. This has been received two daya running and has been deleted both times. It did not appear in Mailwasher either time. Am I being paranoid :-))

Les

AubreyS 09:42 14 Nov 03

If in doubt, don't open it.

recap 09:44 14 Nov 03

As AubreyS say's don't open it if you don't know who or were it is from.

Gongoozler 09:46 14 Nov 03

Hi Les. This is almost certainly your e-mail being returned because you have used an address that doesn't exist. When I get an e-mail from a sender I don't recognise, I right click on the nessage, select Properties - Details, and then click on the "Message Source" button. This shows the message in it's raw form, among which I can determine where the message comes from and what it's content is. I may be deluding myself, but I am hoping that this avoids most of the risks of opening a dodgy e-mail. With a good anti-virus I am fairly well protected anyway.

Jester2K II 09:48 14 Nov 03

It did not appear in Mailwasher either time.

I've had messages come through to my PC before that haven't appeared in Mailwasher. Only because it arrived in the time between deleting the junk from my account and opening Outlook (therefore not picked up by Mailwasher) so not too much to worry about there.

Update the AV and do a full scan.

Pesala 09:59 14 Nov 03

Every day I receive half a dozen "Microsoft Update" emails that are infected with the Swen Worm.A virus. Every one is accompanied by another email like the one you describe. It doesn't seem to be infected, but there are two attachments.

Look at the file sizes. If I remember rightly the MS patch email is 157K and the returned mail is about 149K. That's big for emails. Just delete them. There doesn't seem to be much else one can do if Mailwasher is not stopping them.

Les 10:12 14 Nov 03

To all of you for the replies - should I have this email again then I'll follow Gongoozler's method - but I won't open it if there's any doubt.

The only email I have sent which has not been replied to is to Belarc when I have a query about their adviser - this was never answered - Gongoozler's method may show this. If it is that then it can be deleted - but I wonder why it has reappeared after deletion - I was under the impression that when you deleted a file that you were causing it to be deleted from the ISP - perhaps I'm wrong.

Les

Gongoozler 10:28 14 Nov 03

Hi Les. When you delete your e-mail, you are only deleting the copy on your computer. Your isp server should already have deleted the message when it was delivered to you, unless (I think), you have ticked the "Leave a copy of message on server" under Tools - Accounts - Properties - Advanced.

Les 16:29 14 Nov 03

It is unticked. I'll leave well alone!

Thanks

Les

Salinger 16:48 14 Nov 03

This also happens when a virus infects someone who has you in their address book. The virus "spoofs" your address when replicating and YOU get the returned mail.

palinka 16:54 14 Nov 03

and I'd wondered if it was safe. Was going to post here to see what others thought. Like Gongoozler I have a good AV so should be OK and so far have examined several "dodgy" emails by that method then deleted unopened.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…