Unusual drive letter

sputnick 20:39 29 Oct 10

I have a problem with my D drive.
My C drive is shown as Drive C, my D Drive is shown as Drive (D)(E),therefore is known as E drive, optical drives are G and H.
I`ve tried renaming in disk management but only changes the D and can`t get rid of the E.
Therefore I can`t rename optical drives as E and F as they are not available.
Any suggestions please.
Sorry if it`s sounds confusing.

Gongoozler 08:16 30 Oct 10

Your second drive having two letters allocated probably means that it has two partitions. Was it formerly the primary drive in a computer? Quite often manufacturers have a recovery partition. I think the only way to eliminate the E partition would be to reformat the drive, but that would lose all the data on it.
What's wrong with the optical drives being G and H? Some people name them Y and Z or something like that so that they don't get changed if other devices are fitted.

sharpamat 09:34 30 Oct 10

there could me many reasons for this even maleware or a virus.

A lot of older programs used to install a virtual disk ( ie an extra Ghost drive Letter related and used by selected programs ) on the system, Alcohol 120 was one I seem to rember doing just this.

This may get more information if you give details of your Ooerating System and list any burning or copying programs you have installed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…