Unusual (?) cd players and floppy disk problem.

Newuser3605 19:50 30 Nov 04

Neither cd player or floppy disk player will react to disks being inserted.
The lights blink on startup and they are recognised in the BIOS.
I have discovered that the cds are read if I put them in before turning on the computer but obviously this won’t work for the floppy as it reads it as a non-system disk and won’t start unless it’s replaced.
I am using XP Pro which I have reinstalled twice.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Diodorus Siculus 20:05 30 Nov 04

Go into the device manager and remove the CD drive; reboot and windows should load drivers. If that works, do the same for the floppy drive.

Newuser3605 22:39 30 Nov 04

Many thanks for clever suggestion. Everything happens as you say but the problem remains.
I have tried lots of stuff including replacing drives and the cables but nothing seems to work.

Newuser3605 19:10 03 Dec 04

I am a bit disappointed as, usually, somebody here knows an answer.
I have discovered that when using a different hard drive both the cd players and floppy drives read disks normally. The only difference is in the driver profiles the working ones have their drivers listed as
C:\Windows.003\ etc.
Both hard drives were supplied with the XP Pro from the same disk.
I would really like some advice about anything to try. Thanks.

Diodorus Siculus 00:31 04 Dec 04

Try (last resort?) the system file checker:

sfc /scannow

Newuser3605 22:12 05 Dec 04

Hello Diodorus,
Many thanks. This didn't work but is was a pretty good idea. I am grateful that you tried to help out.

Eargasm 22:22 05 Dec 04

Sorry not much help here, but my mate at work is on xp pro and has exactly the same problem.

I will watch this thread and hope you can find a solution.

Diodorus Siculus 22:42 05 Dec 04

How about reinstalling windows on the hard disk that is causing the problem? Seems the other one works, it might well sort things out for you.

Lasse 05:06 06 Dec 04

Are you using INCD. I had this problem some months ago. It turned out to be INCD I downloaded an update and everything was OK

Lasse 20:42 12 Dec 04

have you solved the problem. its good to get feedback when you have tried to help with a problem.

Newuser3605 23:59 12 Dec 04

Hello Lasse,
No, I am afraid not. I didn't really understand what it was you were saying. Is it something to do with Nero? How do you get an update? Thanks.
I don't see how this would affect the floppy disk though. I appreciate you trying to help and will let you know if I ever get it sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…