unusual boot behaviour

willo500 16:32 03 Apr 04

hi
my pc has just started doing something new. Everytime I restart or switch it on, instead of taking me straight to my desktop, it takes me to my log on screen where I have to click my log on icon to take me to the desktop. I am running XP and I am the only user of this pc. Can anyone tell me how to get back to normal?

Thanks

stalion 16:38 03 Apr 04

I believe this is normal you have to log on as administrator even if you are the only one.regards

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 16:41 03 Apr 04

Is there another user icon? or just yours?

Regards.

willo500 16:50 03 Apr 04

No no other user icon just mine nickname. Stalion this has just started happening today. Before that I would just go straight to my desktop.

VoG II 16:54 03 Apr 04

Tried a System Restore?

willo500 18:46 03 Apr 04

yes VoG tried that but it hasn't helped. There must be a way to adjust it but I dont' know what it is

VoG II 18:53 03 Apr 04

Have you installed any Windows Updates recently?

I had this same annoyance a while ago following an update - I uninstalled the offending item using Add & Remove programs and all back to normal.

There must be a setting for this, probably deep in the registry.

Rayuk 18:59 03 Apr 04

Control Panel/user accounts/change the way users logs on or off/untick use welcome screen.

Have just done this and will restart see if it works.

willo500 20:01 03 Apr 04

Yes VoG I have updated quite a lot of stuff at once today. And Rayuk I tried the welcome screen thing but it only asked me for a password to enter windows. I dont' have one and it somehow let me back in again.

Looks like I will have to grin and bear it for the time being.

Thanks anyway guys

Rayuk 20:13 03 Apr 04

Yes just tried it,thought if you pressed ok without putting in password next time you booted it would just auto logon but it doesnt.

Isnt there an auto logon setting somewhere to get rid of this screen shot?.

willo500 23:04 03 Apr 04

I have no idea how to resolve this so depending on how fed up I get with it I might just reinstall windows

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…