Unusual behaviour with network connection status

Chris the Ancient 19:43 28 Sep 04

I think I may have noticed this once before, but now I know it's happening!

Just got back from a few days away and needed to check emails etc. Oh dear! ntl broadbean connection was down. As a double-check, I called up Start/Settings/Network Connections and my link status. The window popped up for about three seconds - then vanished. Tried calling it up again, it flashed very briefly on the screen and then disappeared - and that's all I can get without a full reboot, a brief flash! (Don't say it!)

I have also found that this is happening with the task manager.

Let's make this even more peculiar. I think this has only started since installing SP2.

Anyone else had/cured this problem?

Any ideas please?

Chris

VoG II 19:52 28 Sep 04

I don't want to worry yoy, Chris but click here

Chris the Ancient 20:11 28 Sep 04

Nearly panic stations!

Task Manager, Regedit and Msconfig are OK.

Problem with an irremovable digit on my part.

The part about the network status window flashing immediately off was true. What I was thinking was the Task Manager isn't really. I SHOULD have said it's that window that pops up if you do the old 3-fingered salute of Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

I've run the usual of Adaware and Spybot.

I've just updated NAV and will give it a good full look through the system while I find out where I left the wine bottle before I went away.

Back later on after the virus check.

Chris

Chris the Ancient 20:32 28 Sep 04

Haven't got as far as the virus check yet, but I did double-check some of the 'freebies' that I have installed and remove them. I also downloaded HighjackThis and removed an iffy line (everything is still working) and that got the 3-fingered salute page back - which I now realise is called 'Windows Security'.

So. 50% of the problem cured.

Any ideas on the flashing network status?

C

Chris the Ancient 21:47 28 Sep 04

No viruses, no nothings.

Tomorrow I shall do a system restore to about the beginning of the month - see if that fixes it - then just work my way through from there.

Chris the Ancient 21:48 28 Sep 04

Closing the thread and will come back again on it if I need to.

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…