Unused BB Connection

oldbeefer2 18:48 22 Dec 07

My brother was taken into hospital 5 weeks ago and his internet connection (Freeserve) hasn't been used since. I went to his house today and tried to logon to update various programmes, but was unable to connect to the server (both lights on the speedtouch modem lit). Any ideas if an unused connection is 'frozen', or any other ideas, please?

Graham. 19:03 22 Dec 07

I shouldn't think so for a moment. How are you logging on?

MAJ 19:09 22 Dec 07

They shouldn't do if it's a BB connection.They used to do that with dialup connections if the account wasn't dialled into in 90 days or so. There are reports that Orange (who now own Freeserve) are doing it sooner than the usual 90 days. But as I said, that's usually for dialup accounts, not BB accounts which are usually paid by direct debit. You should be able to go to the Orange site and re-activate the account if they have 'frozen' it.

oldbeefer2 19:11 22 Dec 07

Yes, it's broadband paid for by direct debit. I'll have a look at their website and see wher I go from there. Thanks.

MAJ 19:28 22 Dec 07

It's not likely then that the account has been frozen, oldbeefer2. I assume that the two lights on the modem (I'm not too familiar with the speedtouch modem) are the ADSL and the USB lights. If both of those lights are steady green lights, then everything should be OK with the account.

oldbeefer2 20:24 22 Dec 07

Yes, MAJ - those two lights are lit, but no page will load. Odd!

Technotiger 20:48 22 Dec 07

I am not familiar with the speedtouch modem, but if it is similar to a router you could try re-setting it by disconnecting Power to the Modem then wait ten seconds, then reconnect Power to Modem. Then try the internet again.

woodchip 20:51 22 Dec 07

Firewall may be locking you out, also check to see if Windows Firewall is running, Disable it and try without. I only use Router Firewall

oldbeefer2 23:08 22 Dec 07

May be a while before I go to his house again, but will try when I go - thanks to all.

birdface 10:16 23 Dec 07

Try Control Panel.Internet Connections.Right click Local area connection and see if it shows any problems.

birdface 10:17 23 Dec 07

I should have said press repair after right clicking Local area connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009