Unusable A drive

mart1et 10:08 02 Aug 05

I still use (or used) my A drive for the transfer of information between my PC and others who have no internet connection (there are still some). Recently whenever I try to access a floppy I have inserted in this drive, the message box tells me to insert a disk. Sometimes it recognises there is a disk, but announces it is unformatted (which is not true) and asks if I want to format it. If, in desperation I reply that I do, it then informs me that the disk cannot be formatted.
I have tried switching drives, IDE cables and uninstalling and reinstalling the driver. None of this has the slightest effect, so I assume the fault is a software one. The only references I've found to this sort of problem mention it occuring at bootup, but this doesn't apply to me; I can run the computer and all other programs just fine.

Zaphod Beeblebrox 10:46 04 Aug 05

sounds like the drive itself may have gne you can replace them for around a fiver or if you have one you can borrow to see if it is the drive

mart1et 14:14 04 Aug 05

Zaphod - no, I've switched the drives and the IDE ribbons

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…