Unstable Vista

Tycho 17:52 09 May 09

I have been having increasing problems with this relatively (18mths) new laptop. It is and Asus.

It is generally OK during normal use and if I send it to sleep but if I shut down or restart it oftem throws a major wobbly. When you press the on switch it boots up and often gets as far as logging me in. As it sets up the compter with all the bits and pieces in the system stray it may lock up and the only way out of this is to crash it out with a long press of the on switch. It may do this a couple of times before it is ready to use but it has never completely failed me.

Occasionally it does not get as far as this and gives the blue screen of death mentioning Rapport on the top line. (NatWest encouraged me to install Rapport to increase security.

The items that I have in the system tray are: Power status monitor, Wireless Console, Defender (with a little orange exclamation mark), RealTek HD Audio Manager, Adaware, Synaptics Pointing Device, Google Desktop, Comodo Firewall, AVG Antivirus Free, Nokia PC Suite and SpyBot SD resident.

I have the feeling that I should be reinstalling Vista but this computer did not comm with a complete copy of the OS on CD. I do have the REcovery DVD from ASUSTek Computer Inc.

I would be grateful if someone could advise.

Tycho

Clapton is God 18:15 09 May 09

Why do you have so many items in the system tray? They'll all increase the loading time.

Have you used msconfig to stop those processes and programs which run at startup and you don't actually need?

The "little orange exclamation mark" is Defender's way of telling you it needs attention. Open it and see what it wants.

Uninstall Rapport and all those other programs you never use (and will probably never need).

rawprawn 18:18 09 May 09

Open the Command prompt by right clicking, and choose "Run as Administrator." At the Prompt type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

rawprawn 18:23 09 May 09

Clapton is God is right you have far too many programs starting.To get to msconfig go to Start> Run> type msconfig and hit Enter. Go to the Start tab and untick anything you do not need to start
(you don't loose them they just won't load at start up)then reboot your computer.

Tycho 20:56 09 May 09

Thanks for the advice so far.

Here is the list of stuff that appears on the System Configuration Startup tab.

1. Adobe Acrobat
2. Ad Aware
3. Comodo Internet security
4. Synaptics pointing device driver
5. Java platform
6. Google desktop
7. Real Player
8. Rapport
9. Google Toolbar notifier
10. Spybot S & D
11. Nokia PC Suite
12. Microsoft Office 2000

Which of these can I safely untick?

T

rdave13 21:25 09 May 09

In my opinion uninstall google desktop and toolbar. Use revo if you have to; click here

OTT_Buzzard 00:44 10 May 09

unless you regualrly plug a nokia phone in to your computer, the Nokia PC suite can go....

gazzaho 02:36 10 May 09

In Vista you can turn off startup programs from Defender. run Defender click the Tools button and select software explorer, where it says Category select Startup Programs, from there you can disable most startup programs.

You may also want to remove Real Player, Some have named it badware because of some practices it incorporates, check out the wiki page on it click here scroll down to criticism section.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5