Unsolicited email from [email protected]

ARTDODGER 22:56 30 Jan 06

Recently received this and was silly enough to open it, including exe file. Anyone know what damage may be caused?

cycoze 23:05 30 Jan 06

The email address could be spoofed, would probably wean more info from the name of the exe, can you remember what it was ?

ARTDODGER 23:16 30 Jan 06

Sorry, i've deleted it now

cycoze 23:35 30 Jan 06

Can you remember what the subject of the email was ? again might give us a clue if it is a virus.

Do you have an AntiVirus installed? updated?

ARTDODGER 05:58 31 Jan 06

The subject was the use of photo(s) in a business article and wanting a larger picture..details in attachment.
Yes, I have Norton Internet security on all the time(its on auto update).I ran a virus check immediately afterwards but found nothing

eqskey 08:58 31 Jan 06

Was it to do with buying the biggest box of pop-corn your eyes can see when at the cinema?!!

Graham ® 09:05 31 Jan 06

Is it in the deleted files folder?

cycoze 20:06 31 Jan 06

Nearest thing i can find to your info is Troj/Stinx-E info from Sophos...
click here

quote "Subject: Photo Approval Deadline

Message body:
Hello,
Your photograph was forwarded to us as part of an article we are publishing for our December edition of Total Business Monthly. Can you check over the format and get back to us with your approval or any changes? If the picture is not to your liking then please send a preferred one. We have attached the photo with the article here."unquote.

Also Known As: Backdoor.Ryknos.B[Symantec] Troj/Stinx-F [Sophos], BKDR_BREPLIBOT.D [Trend Micro], Breplibot.C [F-Secure], Win32.OutsBot.V [Computer Associates].

Big Elf 20:19 31 Jan 06

The exe file in the zip file is called 'Photo and Article.exe' it also comes with an attachment named 'ATT00005.txt'. As I didn't open either I don't know what they contain.

Big Elf 20:21 31 Jan 06

Oh, the txt file is 0kb in size.

Halmer 21:13 31 Jan 06

More reason to open Morrison.

Sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5