unsolicited e-mails from MS?

Kegsy 20:24 07 Oct 03

Last 2 weeks or so have been getting e-mails (maybe 10 a day)apparently from Microsoft concerning security patches and messages regarding undelivered mail (not sent by me). Why?

Lozzy 20:25 07 Oct 03

Blockem MS do not DO NOT send emails to individuals re patches.

Proxy Worm 20:27 07 Oct 03

they dont send any emails out to individuals, i have some of those and the only offwer patches on there site.

lucky1 20:27 07 Oct 03

If you check for threads in the last few weeks in this forum you'll see several warnings against downloading these patches. Microsoft DO NOT send email patch messages. Would strongly recommend that you do not open these emails or attempt any of the downloads.

Forum Editor 20:30 07 Oct 03

Half the planet has been receiving these. Bin them, and carry on with your life. Whatever you do, don't click on any links, or follow any download instructions contained in the messages.

As Lozzy says - Microsoft never email customers about security patches, or anything else for that matter, unless you have specifically elected to receive newsletters etc. from them.

Star5 00:03 08 Oct 03

I have been getting the same emails as Kegsy. All are about 144k/148k and I get about 5 to 10 per day and it started about 2 weeks ago. Will they every stop and do they actually contain viruses. I would not be stupid enough to open them but they are really getting annoying.

I am using hotmail, and I wonder if blocking the sender would stop them coming.

Jester2K II 07:48 08 Oct 03

Nope. the e-mail addresses it uses are random. To stop it coming you would need to block every possible combination of e-mail address.

Don't need to point out the problem with that!

Wes Tam ;-) 09:24 08 Oct 03

Star5 "Will they ever stop " -- Yes!

I was getting up to 20 per day for about 2 weeks (I deleted them via Mailwasher) and now, fingers crossed, they've ceased.

Jester2K II 09:26 08 Oct 03

Different question.

Yes they will as people realise they have the virus and remove it you'll stop getting the e-mails. I was getting loads but now only 1 or 2 a day.

Stuartli 09:35 08 Oct 03

Microsoft itself has posted a warning for some time about these "e-mails".

Jester2K II 09:43 08 Oct 03

So has the PCA Forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…