Unsecured Wireless Network

JayDay 16:06 16 Jun 06

I have noticed someone near me has an unsecured wireless network. It must be new as it's only appeared on my list of networks within the last day.

Is there anyway to locate it so I can warn them?

rsinbad 16:54 16 Jun 06

i dont think you can locate the source the oly indication is the signal strength if its very good then its probably your neibour

ade.h 16:56 16 Jun 06

I've had the same concern for a while now. Short of actually breaking the law by connecting to their network and placing a message on their PC, I think the only way of locating it is to walk the neighbourhood with your laptop - at the risk of looking like a really blatant wardriver! - and regularly refresh your network list to see where it's at its strongest. You might have just a few candidates then.

JayDay 10:40 17 Jun 06

I thought that would be the case. Thanks anyway.

fitshase 16:46 19 Jun 06

You can if you have a gps antenna for your laptop and this program:-

click here

The link points to a program called NetStumbler which is used to analyse wireless networks.

I use it a lot at home because there are a few wireless networks in the area and I use it to see which channels they are transmitting on. That way, I can make sure that I am on a different channel to minimise interference. There is an option on NetStumbler to identify the directions and distance of a wireless network if you have a GPS antenna connected.

Alternatively, drop a note through several doors in the area explaining the problem and offering your assistance (you might make some new friends).

Regards

Fitshase

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…