Unsecured signal ?

tonyx1302 09:40 12 Apr 07

My wireless router, D-link G624m , was set up sometime ago by an engineer and I am now wondering if it was secured when installed. I am constantly reading about people tapping into unsecured signals and need to check mine out. How can I do this please....as none technical as poss please

With thanks

Tony

Slimboyfat1972 10:14 12 Apr 07

Hi Breitling you need to download a program called airsnare that will detect if anyone is intruding on your wireless network.

As for checking if your connection is secure just right click on the wireless icon in bottom right hand corner of your toolbar and click view available wireless networks,that should show you your connection and it should tell you if its secured or unsecured

hope that helps

tonyx1302 12:15 12 Apr 07

Sorry for the delay but I couldn't open PCA till now. Thanks for coming back and I will Google for 'airsnare' as per your post. I have followed your second suggestion but it only tells me that my Local Area Conn. is firewalled ,no mention about secured or not. Am I doing something wrong ?

Tony

tonyx1302 15:52 12 Apr 07

Bump!

skidzy 17:00 12 Apr 07

Check within your router settings.

Type 192.168.1.1 into your browser address bar and look for security and check if WEP or WPA is enabled,you should see the encrypted key code if it has been setup.

tonyx1302 17:47 12 Apr 07

I checked skidzy with my router settings and the security radio control type button tells me that I have no security. It has unticked buttons for WEP & WPA. If I tick either/or both will that make my signal safe ? Hoping it's that easy !!!!!!!!

Thanking you for your help

Tony

skidzy 17:52 12 Apr 07

No,you need to create an encrypted key.

Once done,write this down and store in a safe place...it will be case sensitive.

If you have extra pc's/laptops connected to the network,you will need to transfer this code across to them to receive connection.

skidzy 17:54 12 Apr 07

I should add,if you tick enable,this may set a default key...again copy this and store in a safe place.

tonyx1302 12:49 13 Apr 07

Thanks skidzy and I am very sorry for the delay in responding but I have been unable to log in to PCA since pm yesterday.
If I can pick your brains further, can I make up my own encrypted key and once done were do I insert it and how do I put into use on my desktop and one l/top ?
Thanks

Tony

skidzy 14:12 13 Apr 07

Hi Breitling,yes you can create your own key.Normally there is a box for you to create this in and enable.

Then goto the lappy and open the wireless network icon and find security,then insert this code and ok.

I do have a D-Link router setup at home but im afraid im in the office at the moment.Once i arrive home,i will check the settings and advise further.Be around 5 tonight.

tonyx1302 14:44 13 Apr 07

Thats very kind of you skidzy. I will await your further posts.

Many thanks

Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac