unsecure wirelss network

rdh660 19:03 12 Jul 09

unsecured wireless network

My laptop suddenly started connecting automatically to a local unsecured wirless network which shows up in the available wireless network area. I have since altered my settings to prevent the automatic connection not wanting to use anothers network nor put my own security at risk. The network in question would appear to be a private wireless network by it's ssid and I was able to log into it's router settings and could have made alterations should I have wished. The router cannot be too far away but the persons name shown in the SSID broadcast is not familiar to me. I am rather concerned that this person is obviously unaware that their network is vulnerable. Is it possible to somehow trace the owner through IP address or some other way so that I can inform them of their vulnerability and point out that they should maybe secure their wireless connection rather than have someone steal their bandwidth or even worse......or should I just keep out of it and leave things alone. If it was my network I would be grateful for the concern but we are all different. Any advice would be appreciated.

Strawballs 21:07 12 Jul 09

If it is not someone you know I would leave well alone because you could be open to accusations of interfereing.

mooly 07:14 13 Jul 09

Must be someone within a hundred meters or so at most I would guess.
Depends how well you know the neighbours. Just ask them.

rdh660 10:05 13 Jul 09

Thanks for the advice. Sorry for the late response I have been away from my computer for a while. Maybe I will make some discreet enquiries to some of the neighbours I know quite well and see if they can identify the 'name' indicated by the SSID. If this brings no joy at least I have given it a shot. Think the point about being accused of interfering is important to consider especially as I obviously do not know the person involved.
Thanks again all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…