unsafe attachments in your mail:

Lou singhope! 12:05 27 Apr 03

I have just noticed that a lot of emails from a 'Yahoo Group' all contain attachments that are unable to be opened (thank goodness).

The messages go to a hotmail account accessed through OE, and are for my wife, so normally I do not look at them.
They have been arriving in all mails from that acc since the beginning of the year.
On opening the mssage fully, a banner across the top of the view says:.....

"OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail: ATT00170.htm".. (the number may be different)

Mail from similar Yahoo groups sent to Hotmail accounts are OK.

I have found that many other messages I have sent contain a similar attachment, and also many that have been sent to me.
I can now presume I have a Virus of sorts, but what is it?
and how do I get rid of it?

I use AVG, which is updated every other day, use XP pro firewall, and have today have used Trend Housecall AV scan. Both have shown that I have no virus.
Any suggestions gratefully received, but short of format and XP re-install, what do I do?

Belatucadrus 12:15 27 Apr 03

Don't panic, it's just an outlook express security feature and as long as AVG is kept up to date you may as well disable it.
Open outlook express,
Click on "Tools" then select "Options".
From there go to the security tab. In the Virus protection section there is a tick box next to "Do not allow attachements to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" untick the box then OK the main window.You will now be able to open all those attachements.
Do make sure that AVG is configured to check incoming e-mail.

Lou singhope! 12:50 27 Apr 03

Many thanks, All the attachments contained was a copy of the message, don't know why I have never noticed them before.

I will still keep a close watch on what does arrive, Ta,

Tenner 13:18 27 Apr 03

MailWasher might help ease your worries as you can access your emails before you download them ( but not the attachments ) --- that's if it works with your system - others will advise/correct this.

wotbus@ 13:52 27 Apr 03

see my post about SPAM.Some time ago I made the mistake of enlisting on a Yahoo newsgroup and (perhaps coincidentally!!) I now receive loads of rubbish.Maybe a lesson here for other forum users.

highside 08:25 27 Jan 04

I have same problem as Lou Mu attachments are wanted and from expected proffesional senders ie Int provider and large manufacturer.
Exscuse my ignorance but Im not up on AVG, what is it.
I have WIN ME and McAfee Anti virus and Firewall both up to date. Cant they check this situation?
They do say my PC is clean.
Thanks for any help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…