Unresponsive IE8 ?

  spuds 12:17 PM 01 Jul 11
Locked
Answered

I use Internet Explorer 8 as the main browser, with Firefox as the secondary browser. Over the past few weeks, IE8 seems to go through cycles of slowness or total lack of response. Firefox appears OK.

Tried most possible methods of resolving the problem, without much luck. Methods include CCleaner and Malware checks etc.

Any suggestions of further checks that I should try or corrections to the problem would be appreciated.

  birdface 13:15 PM 01 Jul 11

try command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns and press enter on the keyboard.

it should tell you that the dns cache has been flushed.if so reboot and see if it works any better.

Or internet options.Advanced and press restore advanced settings and see if that works.Or press reset while in there as that resets I/E to its original state.

  spuds 15:05 PM 02 Jul 11
Answer

buteman

Thank you for the suggestions, which I have now tried, but with little success to resolving the problem so far.

Noticing that another forum member was having a similar problem today, and which you had offered advice. I followed through to the Microsoft pages, and eventually downloaded 'Fix-It'. Apparently 'Fix-It' found a 'known' problem that was being caused by 'AVG Safe Search', and provided a fix for it.

I haven't rebooted the computer (having just done the fix), so not sure if the fix as resolved the problem, it doesn't at present appear so. But I will be doing reboot shortly, and see if that works.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I will now tick the thread as resolved.

  spuds 16:59 PM 04 Jul 11

Final Update

The problem remains, so Fix-It didn't Fix-It, so I can now only assume that AVG Safe Search is conducting a website security- protection procedure, hence the delayed response times etc.

A case of leave alone, or a deeper delve into the realms of mystery?.

  birdface 17:14 PM 04 Jul 11

I had the same problem about 6 months ago with I/E got so fed up with it I now use Firefox as my main browser.

I did discover what my problem was.It was the new Host File that I had been using so not sure if you have a different host file or not.

Also an add-blocker makes a big difference so not sure if you have one or not.

And make sure you are running in compatibility mode.

Go into TaskManager and then open I/E and see what programs are using up the CPU.

I found the link scanner could slow I/E down so always download AVG without it.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…