Unremovable file

plsndrs3 14:54 10 Nov 05

Hi,

I have recently noticed a 7 Mb file in my download folder that I want to remove [I have installed & since deleted the program]. If I highlight it and click delete [or right-click] Windows advises it cannot be deleted as the file is in use. I cannot rename it fot the same reason.

What do I need to do?

Regards,

Paul

Skyver 15:21 10 Nov 05

Boot in Safe Mode, (hit F8 a few times before you see the Windows logo), StartMenu/Run, type cmd if you're using Win2000/XP, or command.com if you're using 98/ME, navigate to your downloads folder, ie type `cd c:\downloads` for example and try to delete the file using the `del` command. del unwantedfile.exe for example

plsndrs3 16:00 10 Nov 05

Could not delete the file - although I have now managed to change the title to 'the.partial' [?] How can i find which process is using it, cancel via System properties & delete the file that way?

Skyver 16:02 10 Nov 05

Try this click here

plsndrs3 16:21 10 Nov 05

It's a good progarm, but identifies explorer as the program blocking deltion - and I cannot terminate that for obvious reasons!

Any other ideas - or how I can stop explorer opening it at all?

BR

Paul

plsndrs3 16:24 10 Nov 05

Went up a level & deleted the whole folder.

Ticked as resolved :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…