Unreliable wireless network

Pineman100 12:37 18 Mar 06

Several people on this forum kindly helped me to get my wireless network running sort of reliably a few weeks ago, but I still have trouble getting it to connect when I first switch on the computer.
Here's the situation:
I run Windows XP Home SP2. I have a Belkin 54Mbps router with built-in adsl modem plugged into my primary phone socket, and a Belkin USB adapter fitted to the computer. The protocol is 802.11g.
Both the router and the adapter are running with the latest driver software, downloaded from Belkin. I never switch the router off.
When I turn on the computer, 9 times out of 10 I get the report "Unable to connect to wireless network". I restart the machine and it connects OK. Occasionally it will connect first time, and occasionally it takes two restarts to get a connection. But it almost always takes one computer restart to fire it up.
Needless to say, this is bl**dy irritating! Has anyone please got any suggestions as to why it virtually never connects first time?

wednesday 13 14:47 18 Mar 06

Do you switch the router on before the pc? it could be that the pc doesn't get the connection staright away and won't recognise it

Dipso 14:55 18 Mar 06

Is your wireless connection managed by Windows (Wireless Zero Configuration) or the adapters own software. I had a delay when Windows managed mine until I changed to the adapters own software which picks the network up very quickly.

Pineman100 15:20 18 Mar 06

Thanks for your reply. How do I check to see whether the connection is managed by WZC or its own software?

Pineman100 15:21 18 Mar 06

I never switch the router off - it's on 24/7.

ade.h 15:31 18 Mar 06

Why do you never switch the router off?!

Mine is switched off every night.

1) They get hot.

2) When it's switched on again, it boots itself up, not unlike Windows.

I can't help but think that this practice contributes to some degree to the complete absence of any problems in four months of networking.

Dipso 21:35 18 Mar 06

Sorry for the delay...If you set up your network using Windows (WZC) you would see something like this click here and click here

FWIW my router is on 24/7 and has been since I set it up just over 12 months ago without causing any problems.

ade.h 21:42 18 Mar 06

Does it get as hot as a Belkin, or is it fairly cool?

You could warm your tea on mine after it has been on for a while, so I would be a little uncomfortable with leaving it on all the time. You may also have read the FE's comment, made in December, that routers are best switched off when unused for a while.

Dipso 22:04 18 Mar 06

No not hot, it stands on its side so that helps keep it cool.

Like I say, mines been on for 12 months, I like to know how stable my network is and wouldn't know if I kept switching it off every night. If I was away I would probably switch it off but normally I use the connection every day. PC is turned off at night.

Halmer 08:36 19 Mar 06

I had a similar problem and fixed it by manually configuring the IP address rather than letting the PC find it automatically. A few others have done the same fix on here.

Do you think that it may be this that is causing you the problem?

Halmer 08:37 19 Mar 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…