Unrecognised ikon on desktop / Outlook Express

Laser157 16:11 13 May 03

An unrecognised ikon appears on my desktop after using OE for a while. Type of file: "file" Description: "~" Size: about 350KB Attributes: "archive".

I have been deleting it when it appears.

Also OE sometimes locks up for about 30 seconds after connecting and downloading, but only on first time after bootup.

I have virus-checked with updated McAfee. Also reinstalled OE from Microsoft Download. Problems still persist.

The mystery file only produces garbage when opened with text programs. With Excel you can see it contains a lot of Address Book info together with some garbage.

Any clues for me?

Gongoozler 17:00 13 May 03

Hi Laser157, do you have a MSDOS name for the desktop file, and does your OE window have Inbox and Sent folders displayed normally? What version of Windows and OE do you have?

Laser157 17:46 13 May 03

Hi Gongoozler! Thanks for replying. I am on my other computer right now and can't check DOS name. I might have to do a bit of research to get it as I am not good on DOS, but will have a go shortly. The Inbox and Outbox display normally in OE. OS is ME and OE is latest version 6. Thanks again.

3Toed 18:12 13 May 03
  Gongoozler 07:36 14 May 03

Hi Laser157. The link given by 3Toed is probably the answer, but just for information, if you right click on a desktop icon and select Properties, under the General tab you usually get the MSDOS name of the file. Under the Shortcut tab, if there is one, you get the Target which is the file that is opened by double clicking the shortcut. These can both be very useful in diagnosing problems.

watchful 07:59 14 May 03

I had a thread about this a few days ago but with mine the size was 170 kb and the only attribute was temp. I could not open or read any other info.

After being told it wasn't a problem I just deleted it. It came back a couple of times but not seen for a week now.

At the time I was running OE, Ebay and this site.

In short - it's still a mystery.

Laser157 08:09 14 May 03

Thanks to all contributors. Under Properties of the shortcut there was only a general tab, but no MSDOS name, just the 'tide' mark. I have run Spybot again and had one new item to deal with, but I'm not sure it had anything to do with this.
In fact since posting this problem the Ikon has not come back! Picking up what was said in one of the other threads mentioned, I have been using Address Book in connection with a list of addresses I keep for my squash club. Maybe it had something to do with that so I'll wind this up for now and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again.

cracker²³ 08:10 14 May 03

I had this too yesterday, just after I had exported my address book file, so 3Toed is probably right

Laser157 22:16 31 Jul 03

I'm starting this one again as I still have these problems. I've seen on other postings people saying there is a bug in OE6 which causes this. Has this been established, or is there some worm at work here? There is some connection between the appearance of the ikon and the use of Address Book. I wonder if the delay when OE starts is data being transmitted? However I can find nothing with Mcafee virus checker or Spybot. I use Zone Alarm but obviously have to allow OE to access the Internet.

Does anyone know if Microsoft accepts there is a bug? I cannot locate anything about it on their website.

-pops- 06:55 01 Aug 03

This thing has been around since April (ish) following one of Microsoft's famed critical security updates.

The "tilde" file appears on the desktop each time an entry is made in the OE address book. This can be an entry made you you or by replying to a new contact when the address is automatically added to the book.

M$ are aware of the problem but I don't think it is at the top of their list of priorities to get fixed.

The file can safely be removed by right clicking on the icon and then clicking delete.

Laser157 08:02 01 Aug 03

Thanks "pops". I see the update can be removed in add/remove programmes so I did it. This seems to have solved the problem of the icon, but not my other problem of delay (20 seconds?) in accessing messages after first booting and downloading mail. Maybe that's unrelated.

I can't believe it would take much for MS to resolve the ikon issue so don't understand why they don't just do it. If they didn't have a virtual monopoly they'd be out of business in no time with this attitude.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…