Unrecognised DVD drive

Mrs_H 19:26 26 Feb 07

my PC is not recognising either the DVD or the DVD writer drives. I've downloaded the drivers but still no joy. Any help, please?

ed-0 19:36 26 Feb 07

Is this a new dvd drive or one you already have in the computer?

We don't know how proficient you are with a computer. If you were asked to open the case and look inside, would you be comfortable in doing this?

It may not come to this, but it's best to ask.:-)

ed-0 19:54 26 Feb 07

If the dvd drive has been in the computer for awhile.

Then open my computer and look for any devices with removable storage.

If there is nothing listed

Right click my computer > properties. You will get a box like this. click here Pick hardware and the device manager. You will get a new page like this.click here. Scroll down to dvd / cdrom drives and open it. Is there anything listed?

skidzy 20:00 26 Feb 07

Ed-0...you have mail :-))

Mrs-H

As follows if no joy from the ever reliable Ed-0

Is the drive listed in My Computer.

If it is listed,the text below does NOT apply.

Missing cd/dvd drives can be normally associated with the removal of burning software such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic/Easy CD Creator etc.
And not showing the drive in My Computer.

Try the below link ,if still no luck follow the Procedure of removing the upper and lower filters.

click here

If no joy with the above fix,try the Microsoft Guided Help

click here scroll down to the Guided help download and follow the instructions.

If still no joy,follow the manual fix below.

If you have further any error codes,please post them.

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code:
Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
, delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

.If in any doubt editing the registry,please create a System Restore point first and also backup your registry....The guidedhelp from Microsoft on backing up the registry is a good lesson for anyone to learn.click here

Creating a System Restore point:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore…follow the prompts.

Mrs_H 20:01 26 Feb 07

In Device Manager - the heading "DVD drives" has a minus (-) sign at the side of it. Both devices are listed by name but both have a yellow box with an exclamation mark. Both drives were fitted by a local computer shop which has now closed so I can't go back there and I wouldn't feel happy opening the PC up!!

skidzy 20:03 26 Feb 07

can you do me a favour please mate,im trying to help someone with a similar problem but need confirmation on a registry string and its settings.
Reading the post ive made will enlighten you a bit more.click here
cheers Ed-0

skidzy 20:08 26 Feb 07

Dont mean to step on your toes Ed-0
If im correct.

If both drives have the yellow exclaimation mark,try right clicking and uninstall and reboot , hopefully windows will detect the drive and install the windows generic drivers.

ed-0 20:10 26 Feb 07

In device manager, highlight each drive and right click on them, one at a time. Pick uninstall.

restart the computer and when you get the first screen, use the pause button on the keyboard to freeze the screen. Can you list what it says for

primary master
primary slave
secondary master
secondary slave

press the enter button to start the windows bootup process again.

See if the drives are now listed.

skidzy

Will do M8, but I'm not to hot on the registry

ed-0 20:12 26 Feb 07

Or as skidzy has posted before I could type it. lol

Mrs_H 20:30 26 Feb 07

skidzy - i deleted both drives from the device manager. When I rebooted I got a box saying "new hardware found" but there are still yellow boxes with the exclamation marks. I'm going to try what you said about clearing the filters......
I may be some time!!

skidzy 20:33 26 Feb 07

Wait !!!!

Read the post very carefully and follow it to the letter.

If you decide to go through the manual fix,read about backingup the registry..... its very important.

Though i think you may have a driver conflict more than the upperfilters deletion process.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…