Unreadable CD's

Mark wynn 20:26 13 Mar 05

A colleague called in help to ‘spring clean’ his PC. All his photographs were backed up onto 2 CD’s. After the job, the helper discovered that access could not be made to the CD back-ups. Went away to ponder the problem.

I looked at the machine and found that the drive asked for a disc but a disc was already in the drive. It did not recognise the disc. Looking in My Computer and at the Properties of the drive it showed. A Disc Full in the blue pie chart, but no ‘bytes’ at all

I tried the discs in my own machine and they behave perfectly. Reading OK and opening photographs at will. The discs are therefore fine.

The drive seems to be reading other discs with no problems. His PC is XP.

JonnyTub 20:28 13 Mar 05

Were the disks finalised? if not nero can perform this operation after burning on any disk.

woodchip 20:33 13 Mar 05

If they was created on that computer then they should work Finalising only applies if they are going to be read on another system. If they have been created a while then they may become unreadable on some CD drives if he as a DVD drive try in that

Mark wynn 23:14 13 Mar 05

This only happened a couple of days ago. I say again, that I can read the discs on my machine but he can't read them on his machine where they were created. I will visit him again to have another try. I may well come back to you. Cheers.

woodchip 23:23 13 Mar 05

Try removing the CD drive from Device Manager restart computer and it will reconfigure the drive

JonnyTub 23:33 13 Mar 05

It wont reconfigure, it will reinstall the device drivers, effectively installing a new driver for the hard drive, thus replacing any corrupt drivers stopping the drive from communicating with the ide channel properly

woodchip 23:37 13 Mar 05

And make it work Hopefully

JonnyTub 23:46 13 Mar 05

aye ;-)

JonnyTub 23:47 13 Mar 05

That's geordie for hopefully :-0

Mark wynn 00:05 14 Mar 05

Well - trying that on someone elses PC is a bit hairy. I will advse him of your advice and he can follow it up!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…