Unmountable_boot_volume

tennear 21:16 02 Apr 08

After being in storage for 3 months I set up my PC again(MESH 5yrs old) It worked fine for a couple of days until this morning when it went to a blue screen then went to try again but just went to start up options. I can get to the safe mode but it just flicks on to blue screen and then options. The error message is Unmountable_boot_volume. I made sure everything inside is plugged in but still no joy. I don't have an XP cd but can't get to BIOS options anyway. Any ideas?

RobCharles1981 21:20 02 Apr 08
  tennear 21:29 02 Apr 08

Thanks - already saw this but I don't have the XP disc, just a MESH recovery cd. F8 takes me to the advanced options menu but the available options do nothing.

RobCharles1981 21:36 02 Apr 08

Ok

I'm hope I'm right here but is your Windows Mesh CD able to install Windows??

When You boot from the disk follow this as in the link I posted:

RESOLUTION
If it be the connector cable problem then replace the 40-wire cable with an 80-wire UDMA cable.
If it's a BIOS settings problem then load the 'Fail-Safe' default settings, and then reactivate the most frequently used options such as USB Support.

If it's a damaged file system case then:-
1.Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2.When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3.If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.

4.When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5.At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6.At the command prompt, type exit , and then press ENTER to restart your computer.

This takes a bit longer, but the system should boot back into Windows.

Any Problems come back to us.

tennear 22:04 02 Apr 08

The cd says Recovery cd rom but there are no instructions for use. I've tried start up with the cd in the drive but still nothing. The fans are going but the Hard Drive is supsiciously quiet (usually makes a terrible noise which could be a clue).

tennear 15:35 03 Apr 08

Now it's going to a black screen and freezing?

tennear 17:30 04 Apr 08

After letting it have a sleep I manage to convince my pc into letting me see its BIOS and I then managed to run CHKDSK/ R

You beauty! Life again. I've urgently taken an image of all I have just in case this is a hint from an oldie HD. Thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…