unmountable boot volume error code

nickiee 20:53 22 Aug 13

My notebook has died and although I'm not bothered about saving what was on there, if I could at least get to safe mode I'd be very happy! I'm not tech savvy by any means but I can follow basic instructions if anyone can help. I've tried logging in via safe mode/last known good configuration/safe mode with command prompt but it just returns to "blue screen of death" I have a samsung notebook n130, approx. 4 years old. Any help greatly appreciated

woodchip 21:42 22 Aug 13

Its a Hard Drive Problem, you may be able to get to the files using a Ubuntu CD to boot from. You have to download Ubuntu and create a ISO image with the Downloaded file. If you are not bothered about files buy a new drive that fits your Notebook then use a Disc with the Operating System on it the Key should be on the bottom of the Notebook

Ubuntu Download click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:00 22 Aug 13

Op system? XP VISTA 7?

Do you have a windows disk?

Boot from the disk and run chkdsk /f at the command prompt.

Then attempt a reboot into widows normally.

nickiee 15:00 24 Aug 13

Thanks for responding. It is windows xp & I don't have installation disk. I've been able to access the samsung recovery installation program within the notebook but I still get error code as before. I thought I'd be able to restore it to factory settings but without success so far. I've had a message about partition not found - is this fixable? I have an uncle who works in IT, I think I should just pass it to him to fix - it seems too complicated for an untrained person like me(!) unless you have any "idiot" tips for me?? Many thanks

woodchip 15:17 24 Aug 13

At Command Prompt type

chkdsk /f

Then press enter key

Zurdo 10:28 25 Aug 13

I had exactly the same problem a few weeks ago with an elderly (about 9 year old) desktop. In the end after days of frustration I took a hammer to the hard drive and scrapped it as not worth the bother!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:46 25 Aug 13

Make a USB rescue disk see how

Set your machine to boot from USB

then run chkdsk /f on your C: drive to repair the disk

if chkdsk cannot repair the hard disk you can still use the USB drive to extract the data (files and pictures) you need to recover from the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…