Unmountable Boot Volume

wingfield 14:08 09 Mar 07

Switched my main pc on this morning and got the above message together with the blue screen of death. I went on the web and found a fix - put in the XP CD and when there's a DOS prompt type in "chkdsk /p (or R). I've done both these and gone through the procedure but still no joy. Is there anything else I can do? It was fine yesterday and I've not had any boot problems before. It won't start in safe mode either. I've got Windows XP Pro

Gongoozler 14:13 09 Mar 07

This is the word from Microsoft click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:20 09 Mar 07

UNMOUNTABLE-BOOT-VOLUME
click here

boot to the recovery console and...
Type "chkdsk /r" then enter
When done type "exit" and hit enter.

If it doesn't boot to windows try a repair install

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

wingfield 11:10 10 Mar 07

Guys -thanks for you advice however it didn't work. Even using Fruit Bats procedure. When the process got to choosing the XP installation to repair when Ipressed R nothing happened. There wasn't and option for this - only chooing enter to start setup, cancel or delete the partition. I pressed enter then it started formatting so I switched it off as I didn't want to loose all my settings. Have I missed something somewhere?

Gongoozler 11:40 10 Mar 07

Hi wingfield. The message is telling you that BIOS can't find the essential boot sector on the hard drive. If you're lucky, the Windows XP CD will succeed in repairing it. If you're not quite as lucky then you may be able to reformat the disk and reinstall Windows. The last time I had this sort of problem I had to fit another hard drive and install Windows XP on that, after which XP repaired the old drive without any loss of data.

wingfield 13:19 10 Mar 07

I've tried various reedies as suggested.The problem I have now is I don't know which drive Windows is on. I have 2 HD's 'C' & 'D'. I thought it was on the C but now I'm not so sure. Is there any way I can find out even with Windows duff? The other thing is I'm trying to get some decorating sone so haven't got uninterrupted time to fart around with this

Gongoozler 13:28 10 Mar 07

Windows is almost certainly on the C drive, but the only way to be sure is to use another bootable drive which can run a program to explore it, and even then with the boot sector damaged it might be difficult. I think you are going to have to wait until that decorating is finished.

Spark6 14:29 10 Mar 07

With apologies to wingfield for interrupting, though G's explanation may be helpful to him.

I have the same problem you have described i.e. an XP Pro HDD that refused to boot yesterday. An unsuccessful attempt, using the XP disc, resulted in the message: <Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit setup, Press F3.>

This HDD is now slaved to a bootable disc and I have the option of selecting the 'faulty' disc as the operating system. The data appears to be complete and sound. How did you persuade XP to repair your disc?

wingfield 14:42 10 Mar 07

Spark 6- I dunno really1 I have ran a 'repairboot' command on dos as a prelude to coming on here. I've lokked at several sites on the net and tried unsuccesfully their suggestions. Thing is I'm not really familiar with dos commands. I'll probablydrop it into a repair shop Monday - they have 24hr repair deal. It'll cost but I don't have much time or knowledge. Thanks for all your suggestins - it looks more of a problem than just a missing part of a file

Gongoozler 15:08 10 Mar 07

In the case I referred to, I installed XP on an old drive and then fitted the faulty one as slave, not expecting it to do anything, but to my surprise Windows found it and asked if it should repair the faulty drive. It took well over an hour to do the repair, but after it had finished the old installation was completely restored. I think it was because of the NTFS system that it was able to be repaired.

Spark6 15:11 10 Mar 07

Apologies again for my interruption, my post was intended for Gongoozler to establish how he repaired his slave disc!

Looking at your problem, I assume you have XP installed on your main drive, does your slave have an OS installed? Do you wish to save the data on both drives? If so, I would consider purchasing another HD, installing it as the main, and formatting and installing a fresh copy of XP on it. You may have to telephone MS for activation.

With this in place you should be able to access the data on your other discs. Even more important, you may be able to repair the disc which contains your current OS.

Good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…